Tuesday, December 15, 2009

December: Today's mysteries

:: Potato, Po-tah-to
I placed a potato on the counter this morning for Matt to take to work for lunch. A few minutes later I saw Karis playing with the potato in the office. I let her be...potatoes are fun to play with. Fast-forward to a half an hour later, Matt's leaving and the potato is no where in sight. He grabs another and heads out the door. My dilemma? A potato is hidden somewhere in the house. I questioned Karis. She stared at me blankly. I looked under the bed and on the floors of all the bedrooms. Question: Have you ever seen a rotting potato? Or smelled one? (shudder). I'm sure we'll find it (read: smell it) soon enough...in between the guest bed sheets, in that office drawer with the expensive electronics, or in my sock drawer. Oh, we'll find it.

:: Sparkle and shimmer
I walked into the bathroom this morning and a tiny sparkling object caught my eye. Stuck in the bathmat I found two stickers, one adhered to the other. They were the kind of stickers that change depending on how the light falls on them...in other words, turn to the right, you have Dancer the reindeer. Turn to the left, you have the word "Dancer" glimmering back at you. Now here's the clincher: I've never seen these stickers before in my life. Where did Karis get them? One of her supremely generous grandmas? And, lastly, am I really at that stage in parenting...the how-did-this-sneak-into-my-home-without-me-even-noticing stage of parenting? I honestly thought I had a little bit more time.

:: Curbside clutter or mantel masterpiece?
Matt brought home this painting yesterday. He said a guy from work was going to throw it away, and he intervened in the nick of time. We tend to really like original artwork, though I'm not talking about the kind hanging in art galleries with bloated price tags. The majority of the pieces we own were purchased at Goodwill for $2-$6. Original art by art students and grandmas with a hobby mostly. But this piece...I'm not sure about it. There are aspects I like and don't like about it. The reflections seem a little off, and I'm not crazy about the frame. But the water theme is appropriate for where we live (near rivers, waterways, and the Atlantic), and the color blue is calming. I know I'm on my own with the first two mysteries I've shared in this post, but can you guys weigh in on this one? Is it fitting for the mantel or meant for the curb? I know art is supremely subjective, but I need some help here. I'll even consider it your Christmas gift to me.

9 comments:

dkt said...

I lost two cans of Condensed milk this morning. Where did I find them? At the bottom of the trash can. William put them there. :-P

Anonymous said...

I'll confess to the stickers....Karis went home last time with the stickers on her hand...but I had nothing to do with the potato! Love, Mama K

kate o. said...

you could always paint the frame. i've even seen some cool stuff done to goodwill art on design*sponge (like when they paint the frame and then extend the frame color onto and over the canvas...i'll try to find a link.

i peeked back at the painting you had on the mantel in the picture from a few posts ago. i think my vote is for the first one. but you could still use this one somewhere!

Joc said...

Oh, funny Karis. M and I miss her stomping around the house after panth.

kelly said...

I like it...I actually like the boat painting better than the first one.

Lindsay said...

The blue in that painting is stunning, even if the painting is pretty terrible. You could always find somewhere mildly inconspicuous to hang it and call it a conversation piece. :)

Rachel said...

good picture; nix the frame.

Clare & Tim said...

Potatoes usually grow their creepy creepy tentacles and then the actual flesh part basically shrivels up. Ive never seen a rotten or moldy one, I suppose I have only seen them in dry places though, so hopefully its not somewhere near the shower!

Anonymous said...

Never would I get rid of art, unless it is disgusting, or not suitable with me. I would give it to the office if you get tired of it or replace it later.
mom