Tuesday, December 08, 2009

December 8: Because you've been so patient...

Some of you have hinted around the topic and others have come out and just plain asked. Well, today I'm here to deliver the "before" and "after" shots of our home. We've been in it a few months now, and I think it's high time we took inventory of all the changes. A few disclaimers: yes, I staged things. I mean, who wouldn't clean up a little bit before a photo shoot? I'm telling you because I wouldn't want you thinking we lived this orderly over here. It's just an illusion of orderliness.

Second, I'm only going to show you the rooms that I have "before" shots of and that I felt were ready for the "after" shots. The bedrooms, bathroom, and my office "after" shots are to be shared further down the road when I feel they are ready for their close-up.

Third, I made a huge mistake a few months ago. I accidentally erased a bunch of the "before" pictures, so I had to retake them while the house painting and cleanup was already underway. For those shots, I will give a little verbal description to help you capture the look of the house in the true "before" condition. I know, I know. A picture is worth a thousand words. You don't have to tell me twice. I've almost been in tears a few times over this blunder. I hope you can still capture the magnitude of change...it really is amazing what a little fresh paint will accomplish!

Enjoy the picture show!

Living room/Dining room
Before:
After:
Before:
After:
Kitchen
Before: The walls were originally a very, very dark shade of plum. The cabinets and all the trim around the doors and windows were a gross shade of butter cream yellow. The room reminded me of an old lady dressed in yellowed lace and dark purple lipstick. Rather gross, dark, and cave-like.
After:

10 comments:

jenni said...

Beautiful!

Kristine said...

ooooooooooooooo! aaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Lauren said...

dang girl, you got the touch. good job. can't wait to see it in person.

HumbuckerChapell said...

oh I love those white chairs!

joc said...

Thank you! It looks so bright and welcoming and clean. Pretty tree too. Are those the chairs you got at RH? We didn't find any deals like that when we went!

kelly said...

can't wait to see it in person tomorrow!

Alina said...

Thanks, everybody. You know how to make a girl feel good. :-)

Joc- Yeah, the chairs are from Restoration Hardware's outlet in Atlanta. A super steal of a deal that we couldn't pass them up, even though they were the worst possible color for a home with a toddler. We love them though!

Jenny said...

I love my talented sister so much! She has that special touch to turn any room into a tranquil retreat! Feel free to give this sister some advice...love you!

kate o. said...

so great, alina. and those really are great chairs.

Rideout Time said...

WoW what a wonderful job!! Your home looks great and welcoming!!