Wednesday, December 23, 2009

December 23: Smell

:: This morning I opened my new shower gel and thought it smelled a whole lot like my high school locker room. That's the smell of sweat, insecurity, and the tardy bell, in case any of you forgot. Somehow the fragrance in the bottle triggers some sort of memory dating back to my high school years and beams me right back into that stinky room tucked away in the back of the gym. I'll thank manufacturers everywhere to never use that combination of oils and perfumes ever again.

As if she'd read my mind 4 days ago, my sister sent a sweet little Christmas package that arrived on my door step today. Among the thoughtful items? A bottle of coconut lime verbena shower gel. It smells like happiness and vacation on a tropical island...smells I can totally live with.

:: This afternoon I smelled caramelized sugar and hot, buttered popcorn. I'd been on the hunt for something to make to give to family members when I stumbled upon Molly's recipe for caramel corn. Sure, she doesn't look like much straight out of the oven and all spread out on a broiler pan, but just you wait until I dress her up with a pretty bow. She'll turn heads, she will.

:: This evening I smelled cilantro and raw onions on my hands. We joined our extended family this evening for a fun, delicious Mexican meal. The line was super long, the place super busy, the wait super long, and the outside waiting area super cold. But the tacos al pastor? Those and the company made it all worth it.

Incidentally, I started to think back to last December and recalled a picture I took of this same dish eaten around this time. I looked it up, and wouldn't you know it...December 23, a year ago to the day. Apparently, I have a new tradition.

4 comments:

Megan said...

So... you and Kelly sort of caught me off guard with your very nice handmade gifts, prompting me to do a little craft scramble tonight! So much for my "having it all together"! Anyway, I popped in Home Alone, and crafted you a little something in front of the TV. Ya'll are too sweet, I'll be on my game next year!

Jenny said...

So glad you liked the package! I hand-picked everything in it with the intent of bringing a little happiness and relaxation. Love you!!

kate o. said...

ok, that caramel corn is beyond good. so, so, so stinkin' good. what did you think??

Clare & Tim said...

I love smell memories. They are always the most intense! And that caramel corn looks delicious!