Saturday, December 05, 2009

December 5

We dressed the tree today. A magical moment for Karis. Though the getting there wasn't so magazine perfect. We purchased the tree last night amid a flurry of police activity in the shopping complex as a manhunt was underway for someone who robbed a clerk at gunpoint a few stores over. Very classy.

Once we were ready to get started decorating today, I put a little Mindy Smith on Pandora to get us in the mood. I love her quiet, folk Americana sound. Perfect for an early afternoon tree-decorating party. Karis thought her own screaming would be more suited to the moment. And so we dealt with tantrum number 4,000 this week. My mother-in-law says "Bless her heart," and I say "Bless her sinful heart."

Eventually we got around to pulling out the box of decorations and started riffling through the loot. It was then that I remembered the mental note I made while putting away the decorations after Christmas last year. Get white lights for the tree next year, I told myself. I hadn't listened. So off Karis went to MeMa's for thirty minutes while I braved the Wal-mart masses for four boxes of 100 ct. white lights. I could have used six.

Now fast-forward one hour later to this lovely moment in our living room. Was it all worth it? Yes, I realized a few hours later when Karis opened her eyes after her nap, took one look at me, and said with a grin, "It's Chwithmath" (translation: Christmas).

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Thanks for the tip on Mindy Smith. I've been listening for a bit and really like it. A nice change from all the Sufjan I've been listening to. :)

kate o. said...

going all the way to the store to buy lights and then getting home and realizing i needed more? story of my christmas time life.