Sunday, December 20, 2009

December 19

(The mechanics of the play were fascinating. Here the director is looking on as the actors practice going through the door of the set while a stage hand is nearby to rotate the whole prop piece for a scene change. Very cool to watch.)

I got to play yesterday. With my camera. At a play. My church asked me to take some publicity shots during a dress rehearsal. It was definitely a whole lot more work than play...given the tricky job that it is photographing moving bodies on a inadequately lit stage with a completely black room behind me. Translation: No natural light.

I had been a little nervous leading up to the event, knowing my camera and light science knowledge has it's considerable limits. Up until now I've been a hobbyist photographer that works by the natural light of the sun. Therefore, I knew this experience would be challenging.

When I first got there, I fiddled with the ISO, aperture, white balance, and shutter speed...all of the good stuff. Still, blurry bodies. Fortunately, a few fellow photography friends were on hand along with a film school graduate (my knight in shining armor) to provide some tips that did the trick. He used terms like "light sensor" and "over-exposed". Those sounded like nice words to me, and I wished I knew half of what they meant. (blush)

It was a good experience...if for no other reason than to highlight my need to learn more!! Ah, will the photography learning curve ever level out?

6 comments:

Joc said...

Oh man, next time we see you, you'll have to pass along some of that knowledge. No natural light is a hard one for me!

dkt said...

Ditto! So are you going to leave us in suspense or are you willing to share what you finally did to get the crisp clear picture? :-)

Megan said...

Yeah, I'm really feelin' auto - I think that's the setting I'll just stick with ;)

RT said...

What a challenge! I did a photoshoot a few weeks ago where I mistakingly altered a setting about halfway through. Yikes, almost half my images were blurry. I was humbled, to say the least.

Yep, Alina, you and I would get along just fine in person. : )

ande said...

Inside with low light is not a fun way to try to take good pictures but sounds like a great way to learn about your camera. Keep taking pictures and keep learning cause I love your pictures!

Rideout Time said...

You did a fantastic job. Lacey photographed a wedding with no natural light and was a nervous wreck but she did a fantastic job. Send me your email address so I can give you the password for you to see the pictures (if you are interested). rideout7@gmail.com is my email address.