Monday, December 08, 2008

Day 8

I made cookies on Friday. I also said a lot of grateful prayers. In fact, my husband and I have been saying a lot of thankful prayers in the last few months. When I read the news headlines Friday morning that unemployment rose to a high of 6.7% last month, I could only give thanks. Our little family knows unemployment quite intimately. For approximately 7 months out of this year my husband was unemployed. That's 100% for this household. It's scary. It rocks your confidence. It's easy to lose hope.

Matt has since found a job. It's a great job. And he is really good at it. We could not have dreamed of a better fit for his skills. Last week was incredibly stressful for him. He had some major deadlines, and he knew that his reputation was riding on his successful management of those deadlines. So as I read the article about unemployment, thinking about the many unemployed people who are foreclosing, scared, and homeless, I felt compelled to do a little something to say thanks to Matt and his new company. I baked a batch of my favorite chocolate chip cookies and delivered them to the office. This may sound like a trivial response compared to the big issue at hand, but it was my way of expressing gratitude to the Giver of life, employment, and even chocolate chip cookies.

7 comments:

Michelle Acton said...

Love the photo project. Just caught up on all 8 days. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gesture! If those cookies taste as good as they look I'm sure there were many grateful mouths and tummies on the receiving end.

Kristine said...

um.....*YUMmy* city.

Alina said...

Jamie--
Thanks! Seriously, I'm not bragging or anything, but these were delicious! I think letting the butter come to room temperature makes such a HUGE difference. The butter had sat on the counter for days and these were one of my all time best batches, for that reason (I think).

kelly said...

I have praised God often for answering that prayer, too. The cookies look amazing.

Anonymous said...

YUP! Softened butter equals delicious cookies. If you don't have time to let it soften on the counter, warm it in the microwave for a tiny bit. :)

Anonymous said...

isn't it wonderful that no matter how exhausting or 'without plan' life feels - that God is neither?

so happy he's in a position that he adores!

xo