Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Day 23: Confessions on Christmas Eve's Eve

(Fair warning: None of these have anything to do with Christmas or the spirit of Christmas generosity. In fact, they might even sound kind of grinchy. I'll work on that for tomorrow's post. I promise.)

#1 I awoke this morning at 9 am. Karis stayed the night with her grandparents, so I slept in. Blissful.

#2 I had leftover Mexican food for breakfast. Marinated pork tacos with raw onions, chopped cilantro, and a squeeze of lime rounded out the whole dish. Reheated in the toaster oven and served next to a cup of hot coffee, it was just what I was craving at 9 in the morning. And yes, I have a stomach of steel.

#3 I had powerfully bad breath all day long. (Refer to item #2)

#4 I think hell must look a lot like a visit to the DMV office.

I spent half the day yesterday trying to switch over the tags on one of our vehicles. I called before going into the office to make sure I brought all the necessary documentation. Feeling confident that I was prepared, I headed into the office. I got no further than the front receptionist's desk where I was told I needed my husband's signature. I walked out and drove to his work, miffed that I was misinformed.

I headed back, my former confidence a bit shaken. I waited 30 minutes for my number to be called. When I was summoned, the man at the counter said I needed my husband's signature somewhere else on the sheet. I huffed and puffed and nearly blew down the plastic encasement protecting the workers from people like me. He graciously assured me there would be nothing else after this. He even double checked with another worker. I headed out to my husband's work, again.

My husband kissed me and told me he loved me. I needed that.

I proceeded to march back in to the office, made a passing comment to the receptionist that 'third time is a charm, right?', and stood boldly behind that worker's window until he was free. No number system or waiting with the general crowd. No sir.

Well, he processed my documents. If he had needed anything else from me, he knew better than to ask. Lest you think I am a total monster, I will say I did feel compassion toward him. He seemed like he was new to the job. Truth be told, I always feel some compassion for DMV employees. Afterall, somehow they managed to land a job in hell. Maybe they didn't know it was hell when they filled out the application or sat in the interview. But I am sure with a few customers like me, they quickly learn their fate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I didn't have a good feeling yesterday when you said you were heading to the DMV....It is hardly ever a good experience. In defense of the department, I think they have a HUGH turnover rate there. A lot of headache for a small salary...not good odds. I have learned thruout the many years to try to talk to a supervisor....Usually they have a handle on what the correct procedures are..... Glad you had a good morning eating your leftovers--It was nice of Matt to remind you of his love for you--Love does cover a multitude of sins (not that you were sinning) :) Love, Mama K