Monday, December 22, 2008

Day 22

Over the last week or so while standing inside the warmth of my home, I've noticed some red objects hanging from a tree in the back left corner of our yard. The first day I saw it I thought maybe some trash had blown into the tree. Upon the second notice, a few days later, I figured maybe they were a few leaves making a late autumn/early winter change (better late than never, right?) Well, today I sat down with a cup of coffee and gazed out the back window at the freshly groomed backyard. I saw the red again peaking out from the tree and it looked like whatever it was had multiplied. My first thought was that they were Christmas ornaments our neighbors had chucked over the fence that had landed ever so gently in random, beautiful order all over the tree. Weird, I know. That thought made me realize I was probably still half asleep and needed a second cup of coffee.

Upon attaining that second round, I headed outside to investigate. Lo and behold, I found a tree hidden behind another tree brimming with the most beautiful rose-ish, carnation-esque type of flowers. A real treat for someone like me who much prefers living in a house with fresh cut foliage than one without. I headed straight away to the sturdiest lawn chair I could find and brought it over to my new rosy discovery. A snip here and a snap there, I had a pile of branches with unnamed, fuscia-colored flowers lying on the ground.

I giddily brought my plunder inside and found a clean vase, plopping them inside. I was busy arranging their awkward stems and swooping flowers when the thought crossed my mind that this sort of behavior, bringing greenery inside fresh from the bushes, usually leads to also bringing in four, six, and eight-legged creatures inside as well. No sooner did this thought form in my mind than did a leaf crawl out from the branches. Yes, I said crawl!! Some sort of insect, brilliantly designed to look exactly like a leaf, peered out from the branches. I let out only a brave, boyish yelp.

Ok, ok. A girlish scream. Minor details, people.

Gathering my wits and the vase, I headed out to the patio knowing full well I did not need any more house occupants but also realizing I had found the better object to photograph. You see, I had intended on setting up the flowers nice and pretty. Letting their brilliant color shine. I figured it may not be the most original shot, but it would be pretty and maybe I could find a fun angle.

Well, a much more interesting angle had emerged in the form of this little guy. I set him gently on the back porch. Poor little guy shivered and cocked his head at me in curiosity the whole time. I am certain he wondered when this strange encounter would end. The one with the giant peering down in his face with the black contraption zooming in on his defenseless body. I am sure he resented my letting him sit there on the cold, hard cement with the wintry winds whipping past him, nearly carrying him off into the yard. I am sure he would have much preferred that fate anyways....landing on the soft grass and crawling off in relief. Alas, I took my photos, thanked the little guy, and returned him to his tree. I hope he found a way to warm back up following his visit to human civilization. Thanks for the picture, little guy.

4 comments:

Julianne said...

Alina, I really love your photos and your writing. Very fun to follow! Merry Christmas!

I might have to try my hand at this Photo Project...so fun! Maybe a New Years Photo Project....hmmmm...

Alina said...

Julianne,
Thanks!!!! You should totally try your hand at a photo project. I feel like it is such a good way to boost creativity. And once you get that camera back from the camera doctor you'll be all set! :-)

dkt said...

I was sorting out tons of stuff today and came across my Slovakia pictures. I grabbed a random pack and opened it. The first shot I saw?? You sticking your head out of a train on the way to Poland! LOL! :-) Eric and I had fun looking through all of them tonight.

I'm lovin' all your photography. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Alina,
I love the photos and the stories that go with them. Keep going please...