Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Day 16

I set out to photograph a rare pair today. Karis' feet. I should have known better than to think this would be an easy catch. Rare pairs are often hard to photograph, I guess. For instance, take twin bighorn sheep spotted in the California's Santa Rosa mountains. Very rare. But successfully photographed here.

A little too obscure for you? Ok, well staying in California...let's take a pair of Hollywood celebs. Perhaps the Olson twins. I think if you scout out the right club on the right night, you will eventually catch that pair. We've all seen the pictures on the newsstands.

But the pair of my 17-month-old daughter's feet? Nigh near impossible to catch. As I looked through the digital file of photos I took this morning, I laughed at the sequence of events I found in those photos. In most shots her feet were either blurry with movement, not the right exposure as she moved from one part of the house quicker than I could adjust my camera, or the pictures contained just one foot rather than the pair. A select few had zero feet in it. I laughed out loud at those shots. [Incidentally, a great place to photograph her unmoving feet is when she is sitting on the toilet 'practicing' going potty and reading a book on homosexuality that she apparently found on the bookshelf this morning and thought would be a great toilet read. She has very diverse tastes in literature.]

Why do I share these photos with you, you ask? Well, this post is all about those shoes. This pair was one of my scores at the thrift store on Sunday [read yesterday's post here]. They are a beautiful pair of black dress shoes by an excellent children's shoe brand. Orthotically correct...they fit my child's slender foot beautifully. Why all the details? Because I marvel at the beauty of finding these shoes that retail for approximately $60 at boutique shoe stores and getting them for a steal at $1.99. I take great delight in that.

8 comments:

kelly said...

What a deal! And LOVE those red tights :)

Anonymous said...

I love how you overlooked your "17 year old" daughter line before posting, guess strangers who read that might think you are a 40 something mother :) LOL. Great bargain buy! Love that clear shot of those beautiful feet!
Hugs Jenny

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with my eyes? It does say 17 month old. Duh Jenny! :)

Megan said...

I love a good kid's shoe deal, good score!

Kristine said...

i adore these pictures!

...and, i literally laughed out loud at her practicing going potty while reading a book on homosexuality! *Ha* We definitely a burgeoning member of the intelligentsia on our hands...

also, i must say as a brooklyn girl, the 1.98 thrift store shoes made my heart flutter...*

i can't wait to see your photo tomorrow...*

Alina said...

Jenny,
You are not going crazy...it did read 17 year old and I changed it to month.

Anonymous said...

It might say $1.99 but we all know she's priceless!!! And they are adorable shoes--from someone that started out life as a shoe salesperson at the tender age of 15. It was my first job--I still love shoes to this day....mama K

Unknown said...

Might I add, as I mother of two narrow-footed children, narrow children's shoes are a rare pair by themselves, let alone on a child! Congrats on the great find!