Tuesday, February 03, 2009

On clay pots and community

Our clay pot collection is growing. They sit on our back porch collecting water...and sticks and a ball (the latter two being the handiwork of our daughter). While the temperature has been brisk outside, we've sat in our warm house and discussed what we'd like to plant in these pots. I think herbs have won the argument for the little ones and tomato plants for the larger ones. Now we need to do some reading and find out when to start tending to the seeds. We've not done this before, and I think we're both a little gun shy.

On Sunday I realized that I have some misconceptions about community. Throughout our marriage we have often discussed the benefits of being a part of a community of people. People who intentionally walk along side of each other through the hills and valleys of life. In the last seven years, we've been a part of various groups but rarely for a prolonged time period. I am questioning some of my previous assumptions about being "in community," and I am realizing that what I envision is something straight out of the 70's: a virtual Utopian society of sorts, where we eat multiple meals a week together, do many activities together, and perhaps live very near each other. I believe it is time for a reality check.

This week we are embarking on an intentional commitment to a group of people. Eight adults who are looking for a group of committed people to walk through life with. Individuals who will ask the tough questions of each other. Ambassadors of hope, trust, hospitality, and honesty. People who will also get in your face and challenge you when you need it. That is a whole lot more gritty than my former vision of community.

4 comments:

Joc said...

Loved your change of thoughts on community...I've had those same thoughts on and off...the whole living in tents together thing.
And for us Bryants, NOW is the time to start those seedlings! They sprout so quickly, but take lots of time to mature and bear fruit. And that wasn't meant to be a metaphor- it's just the way it works.

Anonymous said...

unfortunately our empty clay pot collection is growing, too. but at one time they all had herbs galore in them. evidently walking out to the back step was just a bit too much for me at the time - omar kindly emptied their pitiful contents. next year!

don't you think, though, that there are valid desires in your initial idea of community? i think what you desire can be heightened if you do indeed live near each other and commit to sharing meals, for example, with each other on a regular basis. but i think i do grasp what you are saying when you don't or can't live near those who you are committed to sharing intimate aspects of your faith and life with.

i sense contentment, though, and that's worth a thousand community meals ;)

Alina said...

Kate,
Good point. I do think that there are valid desires in my first conception. In fact, I hope there will be regular meals eaten together. And we do live near each other (in the same city). Hopefully it will be real and honest, and when we are done meeting for the night, we all go back to our lives...apart from each other (until we meet again or call each other). I guess in some ways I have always thought fondly of cultures that do live together/eat together/travel together. While we can eat together/live near each other, there is certainly a lot more independence in American culture. I guess I am coming to grips with what that will look like vs. the other idea of community. Does that make more sense?

Anonymous said...

I think true community is both - and hard to find. I had it once. It's "doing life together."
As I type this I am at a hospice care center waiting for my mom to be with Jesus. I have recently been hurt/felt a loss of community and now that same community is helping me walk this path in a sweet way. I think it's showing me "on earth as it is in heaven" I am thankful for their outpouring of love to me right now.
I think that longing for community is really a longing for true shalom - peace - the way things are suppose to be - so it might be good we never really taste what we are longing for because it reminds us this isn't where we will find it. There is something more. BUT - we should endeavor to bring God's kingdom here to earth and create it as best we can here. I love that you are doing that Alina! Come quickly, Lord Jesus!