Tuesday, February 10, 2009

How was your Monday?

A friend invited me to a free yoga class last night. Knowing full well that a little bit of exercise is better than my current heart-strengthening diet of no exercise, I said yes.

Prior to going, I needed to cook dinner, feed Karis and myself, and drop her off at Matt's work. I fed myself some leftover tuna pasta. I warmed up some edamame in the microwave and tossed it in soy sauce for the now very hungry Karis. I ran off to my room to throw on my most presentable exercise clothes, a pair of black exercise pants that I foolishly painted my white china cabinet in thereby getting white paint all over them. Oh well, I thought and checked myself out in the mirror in the hopes that my outfit wouldn't give away my secret that I rarely do this sort of thing.

I headed back in the dining room only to find Karis had dumped all the edamame onto the table and had soy sauce all over her and said tabletop. I quickly cleaned her up, made her a peanut butter sandwich for her to eat while I was driving (at this point I didn't care how messy it would be in the car), and then made a quick peanut butter sandwich for myself (tuna pasta, while tasty, isn't filling).

I hastily put her in her car seat and realized I never got around to buying a yoga mat. Curses! I made a dash into the laundry room and grabbed a towel out of the dryer. It will have to do, I thought. I drove to Matt's work, dropped off Karis, and headed on to class.

When I arrived, I walked into the room and was met with a sea of infinitely cool yoga mats. I slumped down and wanted to hide in the back but my friends, with big beaming smiles and yoga mats, beckoned me join them up front.

Seeing little other option, I stretched out my gleaming white towel on the stark black carpet and sighed. My breath smelled like tuna fish and peanut butter, my hands reeked of soy sauce. My pants had big paint stains, and I was sitting on a big white bath towel.

At least I didn't fart during the 'downward dog' stretch. That was the lady two mats down. I swear.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alina!! Your story sounds so familiar!! Such is life when you have to be somewhere, especially during dinner or after and you have to eat and so does the little one..and something ALWAYS happens and you are dead tired by the time you get to your destination.

kelly said...

Oh man. I was feeling pretty bad for you til the end. Now I just feel bad for the pooter. :)

Bethany said...

This post makes me think of those junior high days of being so concerned about whether you stood out (in a bad way) - being rather mortified to have the wrong shoes or jacket or backpack, or whatever. I suppose some of those feelings of wanting to fit in/measure up never go away, really. At least you went to the yoga class, anyway! And at least you didn't fart. :)

Anonymous said...

good for you for going!

i would have taken the whole paint on pants, soy on kid, tuna breath as a sign that i was just supposed to relax and watch a movie.

Unknown said...

This sounds SO much like my every day. Just imagine, I had Aiden when Abby was Karis's age!! I bought a fabulous new pair of workout pants last Monday, wore them to the Y Tuesday to workout, and spilled bleach down the entire right leg on my way out the door. Aiden wore slippers to Abby's school this morning because I asked him to get his own shoes on while I was packing Abby's lunch and didn't have spare minutes to go to his room and fix the mix-up. I call it "mommyhood". Those of us who feel compelled to do it all have these moments regularly, I believe. I love you, Lini! Hope you enjoyed the yoga...exercise has become my biggest piece of happy "me-time" lately.

dkt said...

oh, how I can relate...;-)

Kristine said...

i love the alina voice! this one sounds like it could be read on NPR's "this american life". haha! you rule, alina!

by the way, karis's hair is hot in this photo.

Unknown said...

Luke and I are crying laughing since I just read this post out loud to him! It's great to see a bit of your life these days. (I came here from Corrin's blog.) Your daughter is beautiful. We have three girls now: Anastasia (4), Evangeline (2 1/2) and Epiphany (6 months). God bless you, Alina!