Thursday, February 05, 2009

The little chef

Karis has discovered the joy of imaginary play, and she loves to cook in her toy kitchen with her fake food. Cooking and imagination? Well now there is a kid's game I can get into! I've been trying to incorporate her into more of my own cooking practices recently. Realizing that what I do in the kitchen is often way above her eye level, I've been holding her and showing her how to do the various kitchen tasks so that she has an idea of how cooking works. On Tuesday, while making her peanut butter and jelly sandwhich, we pulled out her fake piece of bread with her toy plate and knife, and she mimicked my preparation. Yesterday it was a fried egg. Now if only I had a hot pink frying pan, we'd be in business.


***Update-I realized today that I usually sing this song to Karis whenever I hand her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which is every day. Warning, it is perhaps annoying at first but then ends up being very addictive. Don't watch this if you don't want to sing it every time you make a pb & j sandwich.***

6 comments:

Danette said...

We all need a little hot pink in our lives, right?

I am enjoying your blog, really beautiful photos. I will be back.

Thanks for visiting me and leaving such a sweet comment,.

Kristine said...

i want karis to make me an egg sunny side up!

jenni said...

That little pink skillet and fake egg is the cutest thing I've ever seen. :)

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh the p b &j song is hilarious!!!! it's in my head now! I don't give Cheese peanuts but we do sunflower butter and jelly- but he doesn't know! I will do the dance and song next time for sure! lol love your blog!

and how sweet that Karis is playing pretend.

kelly said...

How sweet is that picture???? I miss that little chef.

Lynne Daley said...

I just discovered your blog and love all your photos, especially your banner photo of the Rolleiflex camera. I have one exactly like it that I got from my stepfather. Have you used it much?