Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Jewel

I met a woman named Jewel today.

I attend a weekly group at my church. It is filled with young moms all in the same stage of life, and we talk about our lives, families, and our faith. We are a young, talkative group. And then there is Jewel. She is 82.

I arrived a little bit early today, and I went in and sat next to her. I introduced myself, and we began talking. To be more accurate, she began talking. She was a woman who wanted to share, and apparently I pulled the trigger.

I learned her husband built them a log cabin in the mountains many years ago. It was a beautiful specimen of architecture, and people "came from miles away to see it." There was a skylight in the attic and a tiny little space that she could crawl into and take a cozy nap whenever she wanted. That sounded really good to me, and it reminded me of my friend Jessica's secret room above her bedroom where she too could crawl up and take a cozy nap under a skylight.

Jewel told me her husband died in '98. In fact, I think she mentioned it twice. I've often wondered how people survive the loss of a longtime spouse. I asked her, if it wasn't too personal, how she survived his death. Her face immediately softened. She told me how it happened, and the pain was obviously still fresh as she choked back tears. I was surprised by the disbelief in her voice, as if she was still shocked he was gone. I asked his name. It was Joel. Joel and Jewel--in a cabin in the mountains that people came from miles away to admire.

I love meeting people like Jewel. She is a woman who has weathered many storms that life can throw in 82 vibrant years. And she is proud of her age, mentioning it 3 times in our conversation. "I've lived a blessed life," she said with her hands folded in her lap, a genuinely satisfied smile on her face, and a curious application of white-out on her eye glasses. Her story gives me hope and perspective. I look forward to seeing her next week.

[Photo: Karis spent the morning with her great grandmother, another vibrant woman who has lived such a rich life. She has survived the loss of two husbands and a son, and still remains joyful, grateful, and delightfully quick-witted. We love spending time with her.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love that jewel was there with all the young moms. and i love that you went over and talked with her. you painted a wonderful picture of her.

jenni said...

People like Jewel are heroines of mine. And beautiful writing here, Alina.