Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Endings

:: Basil Harvest
The leaves have been waiting there for months, hoping to be picked and thrown in a pesto sauce, salad, or marinara sauce. In all the business of the last few months, I've failed to make proper use of the harvest. Recently, I have found a quick way to use up the spicy leaves. Chop up a handful of basil, half a clove of garlic, a good squeeze of lemon juice, a 1/4 cup of mayo, a tablespoon or two of sour cream, salt and pepper to taste, and whirl it all together in the mini food processor. Instant basil mayonnaise. Or, if you're fancy, basil aioli. Mmm, mmm, mmm. Excellent on a veggie sandwich. It also happens to turn an ordinary grilled chicken sandwich into "the best homemade chicken sandwich ever," according to my husband, who happens to be quite discriminating about such things. Score.

:: Boxes etc.
There's just so much to be done these days. We're moving next Saturday, and with it comes the stress of packing and the thought of future unpacking/organizing/setting up house...things I've done far too much of in the last few years. Yesterday I laid in bed while Karis napped. I had hopped in bed hoping to catch some rest myself. Instead of sleeping, I laid there and let my mind wander to the ginormous to-do list. Nearing levels of hyperventilation, I determined it was best to get up and begin. Begin doing something. Anything, really. And so, like a good warrior in the heat of battle, I came up with a plan of attack. What I hate most about moving is packing. I don't use space well in the boxes. I don't have a mind for organization. So here's my plan: call up friends and systematically ask each of them to donate some time over the next two weeks to help me pack. Even if they just stand there and tell me "Yes, that will fit in that space" or "No, that will break" or even "You are quite bad at this," it will be better than me doing it by myself...hyperventilating.

I guess I need secret weapons to help me pack. My strategy for surviving the move from California two years ago involved a bumbo seat and listening to Ray Charles. This time around it's the help of friends. But, with any luck, there will also be some Ray Charles.

5 comments:

Rideout Time said...

I'm with you Alina...I dislike packing more than almost anything. As many times as we've moved and the fact that I love moving to a new house, packing is the one thing I have a hard time being motivated to do!! The first major move we made,my husband conveniently had to be out of town the week before and the week after the move. Solution...church family members came over and helped. Many hands make light work. One couple also drove the truck 12 hours to our new house and stayed the week after to help unpack and organize the house. It sure was a blessing from God!!! Don't be afraid to ask your church family for help! They will be blessed also.

joc said...

I sure do wish we lived closer...cause I adore packing! Gets me all giddy inside.

Just don't make me unpack it.

And your basil mayo sounds delightful. I may have to try it. I've still got oodles of pesto to freeze this season.

Lindsay said...

I don't so much mind the packing as the unpacking. It's like, didn't I just do this in reverse? The only consolation is that a new place is new and you can make it what you want. But somehow the organizing and decorating take for-ev-er. We're still in the throes of it after a week and a half at our new place. Some day it'll all get done. I hope you find lots of helpers!

Anonymous said...

Dear Author www.coasttocoastblog.com !
Yes, in due time to answer, it is important

Anonymous said...

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?