Thursday, September 03, 2009

Blog fashion

I've been thinking a lot about a recent post by Uniform Studio Journal. The blogger suggests that perhaps blogs are a thing of the past. An outdated fad. I've actually been feeling the slow down in popularity over the last year. With fewer and fewer comments, I've thought that perhaps the peak of blogging was sometime last year. In a sense, it makes me sad. You know, a trivial kind of sad. "Mall" tears not "orphaned children" tears. But in thinking this all through, I've come to a conclusion: I don't care a whole lot how popular or unpopular this here blog is or the whole sport of blogging, for that matter. I LOVE to blog. It's a fantastic creative outlet, and, in a sneaky and fun fashion, I am brushing up my writing and photography skills. I have a virtual online portfolio that I've been building for the last four years. I've changed jobs, had my first child, moved across the country....and it's all documented in one place. I've enjoyed building it along the way so it hasn't seemed like work. I like that. Feels like I'm beating the system.

I have to come clean on one thing, though. If you tell your friends and your friends' friends about my blog, I'll love you for it.

(Ok, so maybe I care a little bit).

The photos are from a recent session with some dear friends and their new baby. I first photographed mother and child here. Who wouldn't love photography when working with this beautiful family?

8 comments:

kate o. said...

i know we've talked about this and i like your thoughts on it. i feel the same way - who cares! i, too, enjoy writing, photography, and keeping up with family and friends (many of which i've made and keep up with because of blogging).

i think some people cave to the fad aspect of it too fast. i've come across a few blogs where i think one of the only reasons they shut it down is because "people say" they aren't popular anymore. seriously?

keep it up, friend!

M.E. said...

I LOVE your blog. It's the only way I feel connected with you. And, to not feel connected with you would be a big loss in my life. Keep writing. Keep posting.

One of your fans!!

Lindsay said...

It's funny that you wrote about this today because I just finished reading Tara Frey's Blogging for Bliss, a how-to for creative bloggers. And it just came out! If blogging is passe, no one told her.

I've noticed a slow down too, and I attribute it to the other types of social media that give instant response and "connection". But I get tired of reading Tweets and Facebook updates. Blogging requires a little more thought and authenticity (I hope). And I agree with you and Kate about keeping your writing and photography skills sharp.

I like your blog. :) Here's to being uncool!

diber said...

You know what I love about that last picture, Alina, is that I see you. I see your "voice" in that picture. Good job.

I know what you mean about blogs. Pretty soon I will be celebrating my 7th "blogiversay". It's all there...Grad school, pregnancy, moving, more pregnancy, babies, boys, sewing...

I don't think blogging is "dying" so much as evolving. Maybe weeding out the population a bit, who wouldn't write much more substantively than what could be written on a Facebook status update. Maybe blogging is more writey now. I'm kind of treating it that way. (sort of) It frees me up to not feel like I have to post every freaking day, and pay more attention to the writing of it all. And the little posts and updates can be handled with Twitter and facebook. It's a nice symbiosis.

Rideout Time said...

I agree with the others in that it has helped me feel connected to family that I was separated from for years. I love that I have been able to get to know your family better since I found out about your blog. I'm not a good writer but this has helped me grow as well. Keep up the fantastic photography & writing, it's inspirational.

Sarah said...

Alina,
I've been reading your blog for awhile... found it through Kelly (I graduated from UCF a year and a half ago and was involved with ruf). Anyway, just thought this was the perfect time to say thanks for blogging! I love your way with words and photos. I appreciate your sensitivity to the little moments of life. And as a native of Jacksonville, I love the little peeks into my hometown.

Anonymous said...

Yes undoubtedly, in some moments I can bruit about that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is stationary a without question as you did in the downgrade issue of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=active desktop calendar 7.42 ?
I noticed the phrase you procure not used. Or you functioning the black methods of helping of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg
Your Ferrdenants :)

Anonymous said...

А вообще, не зря блогоньюс считается местом сбора всего самого увлекательного. [URL=http://blogonews.net]Самое интересное[/URL] - безусловно верное название для этого блога.