Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Shake it

I need more dance parties in my life. That is what my friend heard me say on the phone today. She laughed, as well she should have done with such an unexpected admission. I was serious.

The cd so stubbornly stuck in the player of my car contains a recent Paste compilation. I realized this was not such a bad album to have stuck when I found myself repeating track #2 over and over on my way home from the store last night. I smiled and danced, beckoning my already dancing daughter to join me in an impromptu dance party. She is usually quick to oblige the second a funky beat booms out from any speaker.

Dance parties ran free like water in college. Recipe: grab the nearest hall mates into a room, throw a good cd in the player, lower the lights, and let loose. Man
y a rug was "cut" with some talented women.

I miss Jessica so much when I think about dance parties. I called her my "sugar plum, cherry-coated, polka dancing, gum drop." Bomb shell blond hair and bright pink lips, she could sweat on the dance floor like no other. It was never anything super graceful, but it was always spirited, energetic, and seriously rhythmic.

Another hall of fame dance maniac is Brooke. Now, you talk about graceful moves and she's your girl. We've danced together in many a locale: Tennessee, Florida, Missouri, Eastern Europe. One of my favorite spots we danced together was at her childhood home with her family a couple of years ago. A sometimes family tradition, they pop their favorite Stevie Wonder album in, turn off the lights, hit the strobe light, and everyone goes to town. Everyone. Mom, Dad, siblings, friends all dancing our hearts out in that little home nestled in the central California hills. I've moved away from Brooke, and she now dances with her newly adopted 14 year old daughter. I am sure they still dance to Stevie Wonder.

The rugs in our new home have not been officially christened by dancing feet, and that is a shame. When I explained all this to my friend over the phone, she agreed something needed to be done. I think she and her baby are going to make great dance partners for me and Karis.

My daytime dance partner. I tried to take a photo of her and Daddy dancing today in an impromptu "Daddy/daughter dance off" when he came home for lunch today, but none of them turned out. As Daddy said, "Some things are just not meant to be photographed...like our dancing toddler." Instead I leave you with my favorite shot of her having a wildly good time in the winter leaves on our recent family trip. Oh and that song Karis and I were dancing to? It's "Say Hey (I love you)" by Michael Franti and Spearhead. I have a serious crush on this song right now. Check out the music video.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tili and I are ready for that dance party to begin!!!

kelly said...

owen and i danced to the video just now. the song is full of Owen's favorite (only) word: mama.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link! Today we are celebrating Emily's 10th birthday. I put on that song and we all had a dance party (Emily, Eli and Ellie's dance floor was my bed!) What fun! You are right - we need to dance more!

Anonymous said...

This is a great reminder of spontaneous joy after I've had a long day. Thank you.

Alina said...

Yay! I am glad I inspired some dance fever. I've been humming, singing, and dancing to this song all day today. Like I said, I'm totally crushing.

jenni said...

I'm so glad to have found your blog ~ I just love how you write, so beautiful and wise. And funny. :)

Anonymous said...

carseat dancing toddlers are up there on my list of favorite things.

and i definitely think we need some dancing matt pics up here...

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

She's beautiful.

JW said...

Alina, your pictures are great and your daughter is beautiful!

Brooke said...

Thanks for being mentioned in your dance blog. I consider it an honor. I was really missing Jessica today too. Without some old college friends around it seems dancing isn't quite the same.