Monday, January 05, 2009

Hilltops and valleys

Today marks seven years for me and my honey. It’s hard to believe we made such a monumental commitment to one another. We now realize how good it was that we did this when young and naïve. Marriage is healing, exhausting, and constant. We celebrate this commitment to each other today. We also celebrate the end of the most trying year so far in our young marriage. Much lost and even more learned. Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

Twenty-five days of unbridled writing and photo creativity-- the DPP was a great experience. I can’t believe how much I learned about my camera and myself. I am sort of “worded” out. I find myself having trouble getting started back up. I don’t like feeling wordless.

The definition of retreat is “to withdraw, retire, or draw back, especially for shelter or seclusion”. I like that definition. My family did just that last week as we escaped to our vacation spot of choice on a tight budget: Chattanooga. We had an unspeakably good time. Good friends, savory food, hours of lounging, and even a bonfire thrown in for good measure. Oh yes…and laughter, laughter, laughter. It was so needed. Restoration came in those 5 days of "withdrawing".

While in Tennessee, we visited the college where we studied books (and each other). I had not been back there in years. So many memories came back as we drove up the mountain and strolled around the dormitories and lecture buildings. It made me miss those years and ever so thankful that I was past them. A funny mix of emotions.

One thing is for certain, it was an enchanting day. Gray and gloomy, a fog blanketing the mountaintop. We walked around for hours with Karis, showing her the places where we fell in love. Truth be told, we climbed around that campus. Many flights of stairs, up and down the hills. I relished the dim lighting and moodiness of the day and took around 600 photos. Matt spent time encouraging Karis to maneuver her way up and down all those hills and stairs, mostly without hand holding. It was so good for her. There was such a look of pride on her toddler face as she roamed around on her own, ascending the many stairs and rising to each challenge.

I couldn’t help but think as I watched her just how much our year has been like climbing those flights of stairs. One challenge after the next. Always feeling like we were climbing but getting no where. Exhausted and uncertain of what our future held. But like Karis, I too felt pride and gratitude for reaching the year’s end. Pride that we made it relatively in tact (some bruises to our pride, confidence, and marriage aside). And gratitude to the One who certainly has carried us through.


We will not be the same after this year, this much I know is true. But I like who we are now.

Always growing.

Grateful.

Beautifully unfinished.


14 comments:

Brooke said...

Beautifully said! I actually remembered that today was your aniversary but didn't get to call you. I love both you and Matt and now Karis too! I am so glad for all the God has done in and through you in all the years I have known you and I pray blessings upon you as husband and wife. I also loved the photos. They were beautiful but made me ache to be there with you.

Anonymous said...

Seven years of marriage. You are to be commended. Keep going! Next thing you'll know you'll be celebrating 25 and 50!! God is faithful.

I LOVE the photo of Matt and Karis. Wonderful.

M.E. said...

oops, I just posted anonymously. Sorry about that. I'll try again.

Love, Mari Ellen

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photography and a beautiful attitude toward God through your trials.

Joc said...

I'm in withdrawal too! I miss hearing Karis's little feet walking around the house...and I miss Charles H Coolidge Medal of Honor Memorial Highway...

Anonymous said...

Love this post Alina! So glad you got to get away for a while. I hope it's not long til your next vacation. You always have a place to stay when you come south. Give Karis a big hug from Aunt Jenny!

Anonymous said...

Alina,it is a pleasure to know you. Sometimes I think about who we were so many years ago and who we are now and it doesn't quite all fit into my head. You have such a gift with words, an eye for beauty, and you are an excellent listener. You make me jealous :) I love you and send many congratulations on your anniversary. I've always liked the number seven.

LIESL

Kristine said...

happy anniversary, alina! seven years is quite a stretch.

the photos are beautiful..*..*

i still haven't been to this mystical covenant college even though i've been hearing stories about it for years. so, it's amazing to be able to put a couple of brilliant images with the words.

i'm praying your 2009 emerges full of joy and renewing!

dkt said...

Blessings to you and Matt.

I've been pondering and learning lately (through a book called "sacred marriage"), that God doesn't necessarily give us marriage to make us happy (though it often does), but rather to sanctify us and draw us closer to Himself and what a profound difference that makes in how I see life and how I can be content even through the hard times.

And I agree with Brooke--I love the photos, but they make me long to be on the mountain again. :-)

jenni said...

Happy anniversary! You are one year ahead of us. :) May God bless you three richly this year.

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful note. many years to you and your beloved! happy anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Although a bit late,
love you three,
mom

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing