Sunday, January 11, 2009

Banana pancakes

Today was a lazy Sunday afternoon. The rain fell gently outside. The babe and man of the house both engaged in some nap time. Thoughts of dinner slowly began to come on the horizon when Matt woke up and greeted me as I was being moderately entertained by a movie. We remarked on what a great afternoon it had been...relaxing and cozy. He looked at me with a sideways glance and sparkling smile, and I knew what he was thinking when he disappeared into the kitchen. He and Jack Johnson both knew the conditions were perfect for banana pancakes.

My husband made the enchanting discovery yesterday that when slices of ripened banana are plopped into pancake batter right after it has been poured onto the griddle, magic occurs. The bananas caramelize and form a sweet and crispy crust on the surface as they cook in the batter. The finished product is a pancake with chunks of warm, sweet banana in nearly every bite. I said it was magic, right? Turns out, this is a great Saturday morning breakfast. And a savory Sunday evening meal. And probably an excellent Monday night dinner, if we're honest. Cause that's how we roll around here.

Karis wanted to show you what the delicious pancakes look like all chewed up. Yeah, you're welcome!

8 comments:

Joc said...

I was introduced to banana pancakes a few years ago, and yes, they are wonderful! And sounds like perfect end to a Sunday afternoon...

Anonymous said...

alina,
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I wanted to do the same and loved this post (makes me wish I was eating them right now!) as well as all your pictures -- just beautiful! :)

heather

Kristine said...

i love the abstract shot of the banana-pcake and that picture of karis made me laugh out loud! ha. karis rules.

let me know how things are coming since our chat last week....

lots of love,
*k

Kristine said...

p.s. i love how your blog is still set to california time when it timestamps all of our comments. :)

Anonymous said...

so guess who was inspired by this post, specifically the description of caramelizing bananas, and made these for breakfast? me. guess who was not impressed in the slightest? my 2 yr old. weird, i tell you. and then to add to the weirdness, he walked by a banana awhile later and asked for one.

the 1 yr old thought they were excellent, so that is my consolation.

Alina said...

Kate,
I'm so glad to hear it. So you never said how you liked it? Are you a believer?

jenni said...

Man, banana pancakes sound GOOD right now. Have you ever had sweet potato pancakes? Also amazing. :)

Anonymous said...

just happened by your blog and saw the banana pancake entry....they really are magic!