Monday, January 26, 2009

From where I sit

Last week I took a real break from this virtual world. Karis and I flew up the coast a few hundred miles to a region that feels like the center of the United States right now, the beltway. We spent the weekend with the "cousins in the north." It was a great adventure, and I was glad for the break from my daily routines and habits.

In the time away, I spent some time reflecting on this little corner of the cyber world that I inhabit. I like blogging, and I hope people feel welcomed to sit back and enjoy the stories and pictures. I guess it's kind of like story time, but instead of a rocking chair and a persnickety librarian, you have me, in my pajamas, wielding my mouse and keyboard.

Well, there is also this other little goal. It's personal, but I'll share. In fact, I already have shared a little bit here. I want to improve my writing and photography skills. Eventually I would love for these homegrown passions to flourish into a financially satisfying gig.

Photographer and blogger Peter Carey is passionate about traveling and capturing the beauty he sees around the world through photography. I've been checking in on his travels for some time now. He is generous with his advice (having left a few kind and helpful comments on my blog). He is also a photographer's photographer--he is really out to help other photographers reach their highest potential. A few weeks ago he offered to feature one photographer's work for a whole week on his site. Seeing that the risk was minimal (a.k.a. I'd never hear from him), I commented that I'd love the opportunity.

In my inbox last night sat a little email from Peter saying he had decided to feature everyone that left a comment, myself included.

Wow!
Exciting!
What fun!
Really?!

I guess there was a part of me that didn't think my work would appeal to him. After all, his photos are grand, breathtaking views from around the world. I, on the other hand, shoot photos during my daughter's nap time. Truthfully, when she finally stops her incessant squirming and those little eyelids shut, I steal away into my little creative world. I pull out my props and set everything up by the northwest facing window in the home. The light is always gorgeous by that window. I love taking my homespun photos, but these are no panoramic beauties from around the world. They are ordinary glimpses into my ordinary life as a wife, cook, baker, home decorator, and mommy.

I guess that is what has made blogging so wonderful, though. It allows me to find the beauty in my day, no matter how simple and commonplace. If I open my eyes, I can find it...anywhere. Even in my bathroom. Both photos in this post were taken in my bathroom on the day that I commented on Peter's site. I had gone into the tiny, 4x8 'water closet', and as I was in there thinking these thoughts about how my photography wouldn't appeal to a "real" photographer, I noticed the light hitting the shower. The simple, soap scummy, white shower was aglow with the afternoon sun. And then directly across from the shower was the little window from which the sun was beaming in (behind the mouthwash and shower radio!). I ran and got my camera and watched as the sun set...from my bathroom.

I realized that for the time being there will be no South American mountains to scale or European towns to explore. Ancient ruins will go untouched by my feet. Instead, I tread this carpet and tile and capture the beauty in this 1100 sq. foot home. And Peter will share it with you in one of the weeks to come. I'll keep you posted!

7 comments:

kelly said...

Wow!!! Awesome! I'll be waiting.

Anonymous said...

Alina,
You have shot views of the mountains of California, and you are perfecting your art right at home as well. Most of all, you take me to those places and things you write about just like pictures do.
love,
mom

Anonymous said...

Our family's motto is to, "live simply, deliberately and incarnationally" I think that is why your blog is so appealing to me - it makes simple things breathtaking!
I recently read a great book called, "A Journey Worth taking" by Charles Drew it talks about calling and I love the way he describes it. He says calling comes from God at three levels. First, He calls us to Himself, second, He calls us to the faithful and joyful expression of who we are, and third, to service (certain present tasks and duties that simply need to be done, ie, change dirty diapers, wipe snotty noses, etc.).
I see you faithfully and joyfully expressing who you are here and it's truly inspiring me to find the beauty in the mundane! I love it!
What an exciting opportunity for you - can't wait to see where it might lead!

Joc said...

So exciting! And I love your naptime pictures. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Alina!
And thank you for the kind words on your blog! Before I changed the subheading on my blog to what it is now, it used to read: Explore, Inspire, Educate. It's a concept I firmly believe in and love watching people grow and learn, especially my daughter (who chatted with her grandma for the first time using Facebook last night.....gulp).

Your shots of the 'ordinary'....it's funny, because it feels like a grass is always greener moment. I wish I did more everyday shots (started a Photo365 project and abandoned it) as life passes me by. And you wish you were traveling more. :) Your pictures show sound photography technical aspects, as well as pleasing content. You have the skill, just keep using it! For instances, I really, really like the shot of bread on the table/cutting board a few days back. No it's not a shot of a mountain in Nepal, but it is a very pleasing picture and I like it. Plus, with what I paid to GET to those mountains, you could buy a lot of bread. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your shots!

Megan said...

Yay! That's so great, Alina! Now that I've congratulated you, I'll tell you this... when I read the title of this post and saw your first picture I thought this was going to be a post about sitting on the potty. I thought, "surely she isn't that inappropriate" :) Love ya, keep up the good work, you are very talented.

Unknown said...

This is awesome, Alina!! Praying for the right glimpse of ordinary beauty to strike to for more of your amazing talent!