Friday, January 16, 2009

Friday musings

Steak story::
I have done a lot of cooking this week. The aromas drifting in and around the corners of this home have told the story of many a dish and baked good I've created. Free time and boredom equal kitchen experimentation for me. I had a serious craving for steak last night, prompting an evening run to the market and a late night sizzle in my best cast iron pan. I often cook steak indoors following Alton Brown's stove top to oven method. It is usually full proof. Last night was a different story. I managed to put the steak in the oven prior to the oven reaching the proper temperature. The steak was ok, but it hadn't developed the proper crust on it. You know, those delicious little crusty bits around the edges that at first have you thinking you may have burned the poor thing but later realize are the beautiful result of a proper sear? Needless to say, it was a disappointing fate for a pricey craving.

Around the globe::
Cinnamon was the star of the show on Monday, perking up a loaf of pumpkin bread (pictured above) and also Chicken Tagine (click on link, scroll down). This Moroccan stew features chickpeas and chicken in a earthy stew with onions, scallions, and garlic. The first impression this dish makes is clearly ethnic in nature, with a medley of very unAmerican spices for a savory dish. Hints of red pepper, ginger, and a strong presence of cinnamon linger on the palate long after the first bite. It was an easy, one pot dish. I liked the flavors, but my daughter made it clear she wasn't a fan. International cuisine is a guarantee around this house, and she'll develop a taste for it, soon enough.

Cooking in the sky::
I was mid-sentence with my husband last night when I turned and looked out the window to catch this beautiful moment in the sky. With my sentence dangling, I grabbed my camera and ran out to the back patio for an impromptu photo shoot. Setting my camera set on an ottoman (a tripod is at the tippy top of my wish list!), I snapped a few shots of the quickly fading color show. When it was over, I went back in, apologized to my (somewhat amused?) husband, and finished my story. I try not to make a habit of this sort of behavior. It's just plain socially awkward. But she's a pretty sky, isn't she?

5 comments:

jenni said...

Mmm, that chicken tagine sounds right up my alley. I love cinnamon in anything, I think. And yes, a purty sky indeed. :)

Anonymous said...

very sorry about your steak. i love alton's method. though i hate how the house becomes smoke-stinky for a few days after. i suffer, though. ;)

Alina said...

Yes, yes, and yes, Kate. I am so glad you mentioned the smokey/stinky factor! I thought it was just me, our pan/oven, and our weird kitchen. Glad to know it is typical. And I, too, suffer and will continue to. When I do it right, it is actually so delicious!

kelly said...

there are worse socially awkward behaviors, I suppose. :)

love the beautiful sky

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sky! I love the colors of the sky this time of the year, we have lots of pink skies over here too, it looks so beautiful against the white snow.