Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Inspiration and a very long nap

Andrew waiting for the train.

I realize I haven't updated since my first two entries posted amid the flurry of activity in New York City. I definitely spun my wheels until they could spin no more. Saturday's schedule was just as full as the previous two days' itinerary. There was a shopping trip to the Flatbush coop for organic groceries, a visit to a Brooklyn art exhibition, early dinner at a Mediterranean restaurant, my official favorite cappuccino to date in Park Slope, and drinks at Milano's, the second oldest bar in Manhattan. Whew! I barely made it home on the subway that night without passing out. It was all so fun and inspiring and memorable.

Building where Art Exhibition was held.

I was encouraged by meeting one of Andrew's friends at the art exhibition. An aspiring photographer herself, she has dreams and ambitions much like my own. That was affirming to discover, and I find my own goals for photography taking shape after such an inspiring weekend.

Me, in Prospect Park. Photo courtesy of my brother.

As awesome as this all was, I was so grateful to come back to my husband and daughter. I love our life we've built, and I was glad to realize that I wouldn't trade it for all the international glamour of NYC.

Matt picked me up from the airport, and on the ride home we had a very near encounter with the side rail of the interstate, thanks to a car full of criminals evading the cops (a dozen cops following closely behind). I, of course, found the close scare very ironic considering I just returned from NYC, a place stereotyped for it's criminal activity. Not a proud moment for Jacksonville.

Heavy winds whipped around our little home last night and this morning. They were so strong, at one point, that I took Karis and hid in our windowless hallway and played until the most ferocious moments passed. I love spring rains, even with the tornado warnings and downed trees they bring with them.

It's been a full 7 days, and we are all looking forward to catching up on some much missed sleep.

Andrew in front of Prospect Park.

2nd Annual Represent Brooklyn Art Exhibition.

3 comments:

kelly said...

Happy for you. What a fun way to celebrate 30. Get some rest!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad ya'll are back safely. Love, Mama K

Megan said...

Hey! I enjoyed all of your pics from New York City (I'm saying that like the cowboys on the salsa commercial by the way). Happy 30!