Monday, April 20, 2009

finding balance

The dishwasher is chugging along in the kitchen. Karis is asleep in the room on my left, and Matt snores away in the room north of me. I would be sleeping, but I got up to check the stove. All knobs are off. They always are.

Matt took last Friday off of work so we could rest. Three solid days together as a family, and rest we did not. There was shopping, organizing, cleaning, and gardening to be done. We felt like we accomplished a lot by weekend's end, though I did make a comment to him that perhaps we need to be more intentional about our "down time"...like, you know, do some resting. Once that bug of productivity hits us, all moderation and community goals are thrown out the window. I don't want to become the hermit couple with a well organized home. (shudder)

Look who has joined the morning watering ritual. On Saturday, I filled the can and asked her to help me water the gardens. It was love at first pour. I'm not sure what she loved more: caring for the flowers, helping mom, or watching the water come out the spout. She found it challenging to hold the heavy can and control where the spray landed. I'm pretty sure we have the best watered concrete boarders in the whole neighborhood.

7 comments:

Megan said...

I really like that you're sharing more pictures of Karis lately. She's my favorite genre of yours!

Anonymous said...

Miss u Guys...Can't wait to see ya soon..my lil Sasha the Gardener..


Sis Erica

joc said...

Do you think maybe she could come water our flowers too? We've got some rock walls she could water too...

kate o. said...

i love how karis is rocking the leggings/skirt combo.

omar and i always try to come back from vacation a day early so we can actually rest...never quite happens.

just commit to having someone over to your place within a week after hermit-like organizing and then you don't need to shudder or feel guilty ;)

Anonymous said...

She is really loving helping in the flowers and garden. I can't wait to see her expression when ya'll actually get to pick something from the garden and eat it. Hope she doesn't think she can eat the flowers too. Love, Mama K

Kristine said...

we might have a little organic farmer on our hands! just look the unbridled passion of her watering as her bangs blow her face! i think she may need a baby garden bible like hubert's for her 2nd birthday.

also- i am loving karis rocking the leggings and skirt, too!

Anonymous said...

Oh,my.....! What a lovely little maiden nurturing the flowers, almost tipping over with her watering can.
XOXO
grandma