Monday, August 16, 2010

State of the Re:union

I got a call last month that made my head start spinning. On the other end of the phone line was the multimedia producer of the NPR radio show State of the Re:union. The show is produced locally and airs on public radio stations around the United States. I'm a huge fan of NPR, finding the quality of their programs to be top notch. So when he asked if I would write for their website....well, the head spinning and mouth-watering and general flub-flubbering coming from my mouth indicated a whole-hearted YES!!!

I'm sharing this with you guys for a few reasons. First of all, I wanted to introduce you to the show, if you haven't heard of it yet. It's hosted by the talented poet and radio host Al Letson, and with the help of his producers, the show travels to cities and towns around the country to explore how people are building community. I really like Al's eloquent style, the thoughtful exploration of issues, and quality documentation of the challenges that face people across the country. It's a show that essentially looks for the stories and faces of hope in American communities--a concept I find redemptive on so many levels. And, of course, I'm excited that the style of the show really fits with my own passion for writing about people and their life stories.

I've been brought on to research and write about citizens that are building community in their town. Approximately once a month, I will write about one such organization, highlighting the efforts of the individuals to bring their city together. You will be able to find my interview in a column on the home page, right hand side under the title "Local Spotlight".

That brings me to my second point in sharing this news...my first piece went live yesterday! I wrote about a great farm in Chattanooga that promotes, educates, and advocates for local, sustainable farming in their city. It was so fun to research and write about the farm and the passionate people who run it. Check out the interview here.

And please check out the show! There are three episodes from the pilot season and five episodes from the first season. You can stream episodes from the website or check your local NPR station for when it airs in your town. It's a quality show that I think will make you want to grab a hot beverage and curl up with your radio or computer...or however you listen to NPR.

8 comments:

Kristine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristine said...

my mouth is literally hanging open, alina. this is brilliant! i am so excited that my heart+brain are beaming like northern lights!

i <3 npr. this is perfect. why did i never realize the perfect love affair would be between you and npr before??! i am going to explore your first piece right now.

(((((bearhugs)))))

diber said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! This is FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
You rock!!!!!

Joc said...

Congrats, my dear friend! I was SO hoping you'd share this, I've been waiting with anticipation to read it. I loved it, and it made me love my town even more.

Brian & Mary Hand said...

Congrats!!!! What an opportunity! You're such a great writer Alina, and your article was wonderful. Keep it up!

RT said...

Wahoo!!! This is awesome!

Jenny said...

You go girl! Sounds like the perfect opportunity for an incredibly talented writer who happens to be my sister! I couldn't be more proud and happy for you!!

Hugs!!
Jenny

Lindsay said...

Wow, Alina. This is such a cool opportunity. They just called you? Out of the blue?