Monday, August 23, 2010

Profoundly

:: Girl
Karis learned something this morning. When you meet your friends at the park down the street, bring your bike, your climbing shoes, and come prepared for a few games of hide-and-seek among the oak trees. But princesses who have no brothers beware: the boys will be sword-wielding pirates who are mostly disinterested in your dramatic stories about being a beautiful ballerina or princess.

:: Unsettling
Karis has many, many imaginary friends. But one in particular has been showing up a lot lately. His name is Ledge (pronounced with a soft z sound, as in Lezh). She gives him lots of orders, and he doesn't seem to mind being bossed around, unlike the rest of us. Yesterday, I asked Karis about Ledge, and she informed me he is 21. Creepy.

:: True
While talking about our newest, most adorable nephew Knox, Matt turns to me and comments, "You know, we only have one birth day. Every other year is just an anniversary." Brilliant.

:: Delicious
I'm going to make my favorite cookies in the whole world this afternoon. I know it's a ballsy claim, but I stand by it. I first tasted these thick and chewy double chocolate cookies at a quaint bed and breakfast in Lake City, Colorado a few years ago. After a long day of sightseeing, we walked in to find the owner sitting with a plate of warm, freshly-baked cookies. They (!) were (!)
amazing (!). I took a chance the next morning and asked for the recipe, and the owner introduced me to the wonderful world of America's Test Kitchen. I'm not sure which was the greater gift, the recipe or the introduction.

FYI: For access to the recipe, go to the ATK website, sign up for a 14-day free trial membership and search under "Thick and Chewy Double-chocolate Cookies."

6 comments:

tnbryant said...

Matt is indeed a fount of the profound.

kate o. said...

omar and i miss tv almost solely because of "america's test kitchen." well, that and basically all pbs food shows.

Lance and Heather said...

was this the same lake city, co trip i was on with you?

Alina said...

Matthew,
Yes, Grandmother is quite profound.

Kate,
I wonder if you can stream some of the shows online? Just a thought. I really miss Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie, and I haven't been able to find it since the magazine folded.

Lance and Heather,
Yes! It was the same trip you were on. Did those cookies change your life like they did mine? :-)

Alina said...

Kate,
I just did a quick search and found a few shows I like on Hulu.com, including Diary of a Foodie!! Whoo hoo.

kate o. said...

did you know you can watch the old episodes online? just in case you missed some...

http://www.gourmet.com/diaryofafoodie/video/2008/04/219_vietnam_preview

(i think it's the whole thing and not just a preview)