Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The snow-capped Sierra mountains

Matt and I got back yesterday from a youth retreat to Sierra Summit, a 7,000 foot mountain in the Sierra range about 4 hours east of us. Now, I have seen snow before, but never anything like this. We got there and the roads were clear, but there was a 3 foot wall of snow on either side of the road. That was my first clue that I wasn't in Tennessee or Missouri snow country anymore. The next morning we woke up to a georgous view of the snow gently falling on the pine trees and it continued to snow all day. By the time we left, there was probably 5 feet of snow on the ground! Who knew that just four hours from steamy Paso Robles it could snow like I imagine it snows in Canada?!?! We had a great weekend hanging out with the students and growing in our friendships and love for them.

Matt did a fantastic job with his talks, and I myself even benefitted from the the "retreating." It was a good time to sit back and reflect on the goodness and power of God in my life. I read through some Psalms that talk of His power and holiness, and I was reminded of how small I am compared to Him. I must trust and submit to His will for my life...those are hard but beautiful truths for me to meditate on. I thought of this in regards to my job, particularly. Please pray for me because I am feeling very strongly about looking for something more in my field. I really desire to do something more fulfilling, and I am not totally sure what that looks like, but I know that the Lord does and has it all planned out. I am excited to see what the future holds.

Here are some pictures of the weekend.


In this picture if you look closely at the mountains in the background, you will see the snow caps. We were up in those mountains.


So cold and gray...a fun break from the happy and faithful sun in Paso Robles.

Matt is a better man than I am...I would never have agreed to allow pictures of myself like this be posted. He said "I don't care!" His "Deliverance" style appearance was due to a rousing and popular game of sock hockey in the cabin.

If you are ever looking for Matt, check out any place where other guitar-playing fools are gathered and you will most likely find him there!

6 comments:

Mary H said...

How fun Alina! We actually have a youth retreat coming up with our church - a ski retreat in the mountains . . . and with a few really busy weekends coming up (a huge birthday bash for my step-mom's 50th birthday, and a gourmet dinner for about 30 couples from church for a missions-trip fundraiser), I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it . . . but, you reminded that it might be really important for me to go -- that it might actually be relaxing and what I need in a way. We'll see -- I appreciate your prayers for wisdom.

It's awesome to hear about your life out West . . . and with Matt . . . and with your church . . . and your work. I'm thinking of you.

Take care,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Who would have ever imagined 2 sunbirds from Florida would end up in 5 feet of snow and really love it!!!
I am proud of the way ya'll are allowing the Lord to use you in the big picture of life by putting the smaller puzzle pieces of life together for both you and the students. I enjoyed the pictures and the updates.
Change the world, I know you can!!!
Love always, 1 HOT Grandma

Anonymous said...

Brrr! That snow looks incredibly cold...and cozy too. You are in the middle of 2 extremes in weather, the coast and snow-capped mountains. How fun! I can't wait to go visit you guys. Love you!
Jen

Anonymous said...

alina! hi, i was just introduced to your blog by mary o. i love it. i'm digging the photos. maybe i'll see you one day :)

Anonymous said...

Ahh, I miss good ol' hearty snow. Philly just isn't the same as Colorado :0) You guys look so cute in your snow hats. Love ya chica! AC

Anonymous said...

lucky!!!! great shots!!!!