Monday, January 23, 2006

Ordinary glory

I am usually so excited to post when I have pictures to accompany my thoughts and stories, but I had to convince myself it was ok to post without the visual aids to accompany the words.

I had a good day, and I just wanted to share a little bit about it. I enjoyed church this morning. We had our congregational meeting to talk about the vision for the church for the year. I had been dreading this meeting due to some hesitation, and I will admit even bitterness, towards our being in the ministry. I had been dreading the moment when the pastoral staff and families would be asked to leave while the rest of the church discussed our salary, in detail. Lately I have been battling in my heart over the financial struggles that we accepted when we entered the ministry. But, as the pastor preached in the service about the vision of our church to expand the kingdom of God, I felt frost begin to melt around my heart. And when the moment came when we were asked to leave, Matt and I joined the other two pastors and their wives in the lobby where one of the pastors asked us all to pray for a woman who was visiting from a church in Oklahoma that is undergoing a nasty split. So while the rest of the church was discussing our salary, I was a part of the ministry team in the lobby praying for a woman I have never met and her church which I have never visited. I felt a part of something powerful and called by God, not excluded and placed on display for others to pick apart my private life, which I had expected to feel like. God has called us to a life of giving of ourselves, and the truth of the matter is that it is not just Matt and I that are called to selflessness. Everyone is called to die to themselves. Matt and I are just called to a particular kind that is officially labeled "ministry". And by the way, I found out that while we were out in the lobby, the elders announced to the congregation that Matt was brought on full time this month with a full time salary, and the whole church errupted with clapping. That is love, not nosey prodding.

Tonight we had a youth leader meeting, and it was so fun to laugh and think hard with these people who I already love so much! We came up with the phrase "the fun people in the church are youth leaders"! It is so wonderful to be in ministry that flows out of your gifts and personality, and Matt and I feel that way about youth ministry. As soon as we stray from our hearts and personal calling and try to make youth ministry something contrived, it ceases to be genuine and passionate. So in the midst of what has felt like a tough month and a half, I was so blessed by the ordinary glory of today.

Ok, so I couldn't resist giving you some eye candy....being able to post my photography so easily is one of the things I love most about blogger. Here is a picture that I took of myself in the mirror on our road trip/move out to California.


This second picture is one that I took in Brooke's backyard of one of the many amazing California sunsets. This area has the most amazing and clear sunsets!!


One last picture...I also loved the way this flower turned out. It was perfectly facing the sun and so perfectly posed for a shot. I love how flowers don't squint in the sunlight!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How awesome to be part of a church that loves you! Yay God!

Kelly

Anonymous said...

that frickin rocks!!! I am excited for yall and your post got my excited for the kingdom. Aslan is on the move!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Matt and Alina,

I am excited about the church clapping and that in itself is cause for celebration. I'm not sure what you mean by being brought on "fulltime" so call me when you get a chance to fill me in. I am sure you both are "changing your world" for the cause of Christ. It is a mother's greatest longing for a child/children that God has given to her to go on and make a real difference for the kingdom of God.
We all want to think/know that somehow , someway, that the legacy that you care about continues on. That the "light" of Jesus is being passed on from generation to generation. You are doing a work that has eternal rewards. I am proud of you both. Not proud as in unlovely pride, but proud that day after day you continue to crave out a God shaped place in your lives and the lives of others that God has placed in your part of the world even when the going gets rough and somedays you just feel like not giving. You just get up, dust yourselves off and start out again. Alina, I am praying for a job that is more suited for your schooling. Don't forget to check nursing homes.
I thank God for giving the 2 of you to me. You are loved. Mama K

M.E. said...

Alina,

Someday I'm going to have a blog as great as yours!! You inspire me with the beauty of your words and photos. And SOMEDAY we will sit and drink coffee together and praise God for all He's done in our lives since grad.

Miss you, Mari Ellen