Monday, June 28, 2010

Summer playlist

::On my MP3 player
I'm enjoying the cool, mellow tones of Joshua Radin lately. He's just right for those lazy afternoon moments, lounging on the couch in my air conditioned home or those post-beach evenings, suntanned and sleepy.

::On my bedside table
Earlier this year I ordered a subscription to National Geographic, and I'm not sure why it took me so long to do so since I'm totally in love with it. From the stunning photography to excellent writing which explores other cultures, science, and history, this is definitely bedside travel at its best.

::On my DVR
I want to travel Mexico with Rick Bayless. In the meantime, watching his PBS cooking show Mexico: One Plate at a Time will certainly do. I've always suspected that authentic Mexican cuisine was far more than quick fast food, ground beef tacos, and Velveeta cheese-slathered nachos. Bayless' confirms this theory, educating viewers on the diversity and complexity of Mexican cuisine in his typical, charismatic fashion. Every week I look for one night where I can curl up alone on the couch and savor the show. I can't get enough.

::On blistering hot Saturdays
Hands down, Karis favorite thing to do is swim in the lake with Daddy B (her grandpa). He's fun and lets her do things Mom is too fussy to let her do in her presence like swim in the lake (!), jump off the stairs, and stay in the water for hours on end. I'm pretty sure he's been elevated to superhero status in her mind.

::In my freezer
I can't seem to get popsicles out of my mind lately. They are the perfect way to cool down and consume juice and fresh fruit. Inspired by this post, I purchased some limes and a few extra cartons of blueberries and raspberries this week. Now I'm on the hunt for good popsicle molds that are inexpensive and good quality (nothing worse than a frozen pop that slides right off the stick). I stepped into Williams Sonoma this morning and spotted this fancy pants machine, and though it would fit the bill in the quality department, the price tag caused some eye rolling (not all that uncommon for me in that store).

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

My mother-in-law gave us not one but two of those Zoku popsicle makers for Christmas. We were quite pleased when we returned them and found that we now had $100 of store credit at WS. And we were surprised to learn it was their hottest item at Christmas time. A woman purchased our return in no less than a minute. No kidding.

kelly said...

great picture of B and Karis in the lake! owen would LOVE that.
do you ever eat whole fruit sorbet? mmmm!!! the strawberry is my favorite, rivaled by peach.

no longer working said...

We have a lot in common it seems. I love Josh, National Geographic and popsicles too.

Joc said...

Oh, I love Rick Bayless too. He makes me want to eat, eat, eat, and cook! And popsicles are my nightly snack these days... A great way to end the blistering days.

Alina said...

Lindsay,
Too funny and weird that that would be so popular during Christmas. You can't beat a $100 shopping credit at WS.

Kelly,
Yes, I love the whole fruit strawberry popsicles though I haven't tried the sorbet. Peach, on the other hand, is typically not my favorite flavor. Love the fruit, not any product made with it though.

Corrin,
Yes we do. Let's be friends. :-)

Joc,
I'll invite you along when I travel Mexico with Rick.