Sunday, June 20, 2010

In focus

My camera has been neglected lately, seeing far too much of the dark confines of my camera bag. I've been writing up a storm, enjoying the opportunities to express myself with words. But I've been missing that camera. It allows me to capture the story in one little picture, a colorful snapshot that says everything without having to spell anything out.

But it takes work to take photos--work to see (really see) the stories going on around me. So I've preferred to write about those stories in hindsight rather than lug around a camera and try to capture them in the moment. I have little "in the moment" energy to spare, it seems.

Blogging is a mixed bag, a sometimes ego-feeder and, at other times, encouragement to the artistic soul. A fellow blogger stumbled on my blog the other day and left a kind comment about my photography. It took me by surprise given my current camera drought, but it provided just the push I needed to pull it out and start experimenting again.

I love what Rebecca is doing for the month of June. A writer/photographer like myself, she dedicated this month to posting only pictures. I like this idea, and though I think I'll still throw in a few wordy posts here and there, I want to focus on photography for a little while. In short, I hope to slow down and capture all these summer moments going on around me.

1 comment:

RT said...

I like the way you capture the still, quiet moments with such simplicity and beauty. Lovely photo.