Friday, January 29, 2010

On home decorating

Hi, my name is Alina, and I am a slow decorator. A really slow decorator, to be precise. Between budget constraints and my uncanny ability to become gridlocked in indecision, home decorating is generally a long process. Now if you also throw in my high standards and deep desire to have a nicely decorated home, well now you have a really big mess on your hands. Actually, that would be me having a big, crying, foot-stomping, stuck-in-a-quandary mess. For me, home decorating is both yucky and exciting all at the same time.

My family and I recently moved into our first purchased (!) home last fall. We love it, and feel it meets so many of our standards. It is a small but well-sized brick home built in 1940 with all the charm of an older home (i.e. mudroom, arched doorways, wood floors, sunroom, built-ins, etc.) The price and location were right, on top of it all, and so we sprung. And, as is the case with all moves, I've landed in a vacuum of decorating decisions ranging from furniture placement, color choices, style preferences, and wall hangings, just to name a few. To complicate things a bit more, we sold most of our furniture when moving cross country two years ago, so we've also been slowly building back up our furniture collection.

I can and do tell myself I've come along way from that time two years when I stared into the moving truck containing only a 1/4 of the stuff I used to own or even since a mere 4 months ago when we first started to renovate this home. Floors refinished-check. Walls painted-check. Large furniture items (sofa and chairs) purchased-check. Clearly progress made, right? Yes. I totally agree. And yet I'm still struggling with indecision. If I'm completely honest, I think I'm feeling a little pressure to get things right the first time. Without getting too psychoanalytic on the topic, let me explain. In the past, when I rented a home, I would decorate rather quickly. I'd easily make decisions regarding walls, colors, furniture, etc. I knew that the home was somewhat temporary, and so no mistake was too great that I couldn't walk away from it at the expiration of the lease. But with this being a "permanent" home, I am feeling a little bit like a lover with a history of bad relationships...slow to commit.

My plan thus far has been this: keep it neutral. Our walls are varying shades of khaki. Furniture is white, cream, black, or dark leather. The curtains are a similar shade as the walls. Where I've been wild with colors in the past in my rental homes, my fear and the knowledge that I change my design preferences often have led me to keep the big items neutral. My plan is to bring in splashes of color with the smaller, less expensive, and more easily replaced items (i.e. pillows, vases, pictures, etc).

My only problem now is that I've grown used to the bare walls, the bland palette, and sparse decor. Perhaps it lacks warmth and coziness, as my patient husband kindly insinuates every time he asks, When are you going to hang pictures on the walls? And, without fail, I respond, Soon, Honey. Truth is, I'm just not ready yet. I'm percolating, toasting, and processing slowly, much to my husband's dismay.

I went shopping this week and popped in a few stores for ideas. I visited a fantastic store near my home called NestLiving. Karis was the first to point out the store, giggling excitedly over this Eames Elephant sitting in the storefront window. Apparently her tastes lean towards mid-century modern, and I can't blame her. Along the same lines, I popped into West Elm yesterday and was awed by their collection of kitchen chairs and lamps and color palette. On the other hand (and literally across the street) Ballard Designs and Potterybarn have updated cottage and classic elements that really appeal to me as well. And let's not forget about Anthropologie with it's (seemingly) effortless, vintage charm. Ok, that list I just typed is enough to make me drool.

Maybe you've spotted the problem in all of this store love I just mentioned. Here it is: I like a lot of styles and very differing styles. My sister-in-law (and yesterday's shopping buddy) says the same thing, but unlike indecisive me, she follows it up with, I just know what I can live with. I've yet to figure that part out.

Clearly my tastes are varied. I like a lot of different styles, and I don't seem to mind them all co-existing together. Fortunately, I've found homeowners that share a love for mixing up the styles as well. The following pictures are taken of their home which exemplifies that hodgepodge, eclectic mix of styles I'm talking about. These pictures are from Beloved Homes!, a coffee table book purchased at IKEA and featuring nine homes in Sweden. While IKEA has, of course, had an influence in the style and design of the homes, this is not an IKEA catalog. The pages I'm going to show come from an 18th century mansion, and I'm in awe of how the owners' seamlessly blend the old and new. Flea market meets modern style and doesn't bat an eye lash. I love that, and, to date, the way they have decorated stands in my mind as my ideal. This is what I'm working towards, for better or for worse.

So, now that I've rambled on about such things longer than I care to admit, I'm curious, do you have a magazine or store or design book that you try to emulate? Is there an ideal room sitting somewhere in somebody else's home or on the pages of a magazine or online that you drool over? Care to share a link or picture?

Happy staring, everyone.

10 comments:

abigail said...

I can completely relate. I'm in a similar position, and go back and forth on everything and change things constantly.

Beautiful book!

kelly said...

oh, those orange chairs. and sooo comfortable and not just stunning.

kate o. said...

check out the "sneak peaks" section on design*sponge. i get some great ideas there that blend the modern yet vintage yet warm that i gravitate towards. they are also real homes and many of the commenters ask about specific items/paint colors and the questions get answered in the comments. good stuff!

Anonymous said...

I have complete confidence in your ability to decorate this "new" house in a manner that will be charming and acceptable to all parties, Matt, Karis, and yourself. It is very smart of you to not rush into decorating missteps. You'll find your way, slowly but surely. I know because I've seen your other decor projects in the past;) MLK

Megan said...

Great style in those photographs, I can totally see why you love it! Please bust that book out next time I come over, I would love to look through it! I've been in my house for 1.5 years and just hung my first prints recently - what's the rush if you're going to be there a while right?

diber said...

I think getting older makes a difference, too. you realize that there is more time. it's not all now, mow, now.

Right now my main aesthetic is, make what i have work and diy the rest! there's awesome fabric and paint out there. ;-)

no longer working said...

I have found that I am already ready to sell some of my "adult furniture", the stuff I thought I'd own forever.

I'm slowly getting over the disappointment that my taste changes all the time and this stuff I thought I'd have till my kids were grown needs to go. As long as we can afford it, I'm going to keep buying and selling stuff, moving it around and repainting. This will probably continue for my whole life.

Clif says I should just enjoy it, honestly it stresses me out.

Rideout Time said...

If it makes you feel any better, we've lived in our house almost 6 years and have hung three pictures. We have NOT painted because the walls were neutral so we left them. I have the same problem with decorating...I love bright colors, but know that it can become tiresome as well. Marlene is right, you will do a fantastic job, just take your time and don't feel rushed.

Anonymous said...

[u][b]Xrumer[/b][/u]

[b]Xrumer SEO Professionals

As Xrumer experts, we secure been using [url=http://www.xrumer-seo.com]Xrumer[/url] quest of a sustained time conditions and grasp how to harness the colossal power of Xrumer and go off it into a Spondulix machine.

We also provide the cheapest prices on the market. Numberless competitors desire expect 2x or even 3x and a destiny of the term 5x what we debt you. But we have faith in providing gigantic accommodation at a low affordable rate. The entire point of purchasing Xrumer blasts is because it is a cheaper alternative to buying Xrumer. So we aim to keep that thought in recollection and outfit you with the cheapest grade possible.

Not solitary do we have the unexcelled prices but our turnaround time after your Xrumer posting is wonderful fast. We intention secure your posting done ahead of you distinguish it.

We also provide you with a ample log of loaded posts on different forums. So that you can see seeking yourself the power of Xrumer and how we get harnessed it to emoluments your site.[/b]


[b]Search Engine Optimization

Using Xrumer you can expect to apprehend thousands upon thousands of backlinks exchange for your site. Myriad of the forums that your Site you will be posted on get great PageRank. Having your join on these sites can categorically serve found up some cover quality recoil from links and really aid your Alexa Rating and Google PageRank rating via the roof.

This is making your put more and more popular. And with this inflate in reputation as familiarly as PageRank you can think to witness your site really superiority gamy in those Search Locomotive Results.
Above

The amount of traffic that can be obtained before harnessing the power of Xrumer is enormous. You are publishing your plat to tens of thousands of forums. With our higher packages you may even be publishing your position to HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of forums. Create 1 post on a all the rage forum last will and testament inveterately enter 1000 or so views, with say 100 of those people visiting your site. Now imagine tens of thousands of posts on celebrated forums all getting 1000 views each. Your freight ordain function sometimes non-standard due to the roof.

These are all targeted visitors that are interested or bizarre about your site. Deem how innumerable sales or leads you can achieve with this colossal number of targeted visitors. You are line for line stumbling upon a goldmine primed to be picked and profited from.

Retain, Transport is Money.
[/b]

GO YOUR TWOPENNY BLAST TODAY:


http://www.xrumer-seo.com

Jenny said...

I hear you loud and clear Alina! I could have written this post. We've been in our new house now for about 8 months and we have done NOTHING to it yet. But check this link out http://www.houseofturquoise.com/2009/08/idea-house-on-gulf-coast-of-texas.html
Totally dreaming, but i LOVE the colors and the beachy/cottagy feeling of it.