Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Stay

Survival is the name of the game this week. With an adenoidectomy and a myringotomy surgery scheduled for Monday, Karis is under strict orders by the doctor to avoid other children, public play areas, and the church nursery. She's technically already sick right now, go figure, and we're desperately trying to avoid piling on any other illnesses to this one so that we don't have to reschedule the surgery. Allow me to summarize what I just shared: doctor's orders = isolation = survival mode.

Here's the thing...I like to go. I like to go out. I like to go over to friends' homes. I like to go into restaurants and eat. I like going. With our eyes on Karis' health, going has taken a hit and staying has become the norm. Stay home. Stay healthy. Stay sane.

Apparently cooking is a bit of a survival technique for me, something that treats boredom and listlessness. Today has found me puttering around the kitchen quite a bit. With Karis standing on a chair looking over my shoulder, I've cooked and/or prepared the following items: oatmeal and fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast, grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup for lunch, cranberry apple butter...because it sounds amazing (thanks, Kate!), and I'm marinating top round roast for dinner, served alongside kohlrabi au gratin and mashed rutabaga.

Karis thinks she has found her own method of survival as well. At one point in the day, I sent her to her room for not listening. When I went in to discipline her, she abruptly cried out, "Christopher Robin, save me!" Forget Jesus, God, or Mary. My child shuttles her prayers off to the fictitious characters of the Hundred Acre Wood. (Sigh) I've got some work to do...that is if I can get out of the kitchen long enough to do it.

7 comments:

M.E. said...

Hang in there, my friend. This too shall pass.

Krissy D said...

poor baby...but she is a hoot! would you like me to put this on the prayer chain at church? I do the email prayer chain. if so send me a message on fb with what you want to say and I'll post it. will be praying for Karis either way!]
Krissy

Carolina Girl said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!! That Christopher Robin line actually made me burst out laughing. I probably woke up Buster. :-) Do we need to hang out tomorrow?

RT said...

Christopher Robin! Ha!!! That is so very funny.

I hope the upcoming surgery is successful and helps Karis get healthy for the longterm. Poor little punkin.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel! Aidan had surgery almost a year ago and the first one was scratched b/c he was sick. So we did the stay home and away from nursery for a month so he wouldn't catch another illness. Hang in there!

kate o. said...

i hope the surgery goes well! and do you think she might feel up to a little visit with a couple of boys on our way back through in a week??

Elsie said...

Hi Alina,
Happy new year. I will say a prayer for Karis.