Monday, February 01, 2010

Loving

::Temperate weather
The me 3 years ago would have blushed to hear this admission, but it's true. Florida winter weather is growing on me. I've always thought of myself as one who prefers to live in a northern climate, gladly enduring a cold, harsh winter over a hot, muggy summer in the South. But these mild winter days with their cool breezes, bright sun, and blue skies are totally winning me over.

::Riding shotgun
Whenever Matt drives, I get a chance to sit back, enjoy the sights, and play around with my camera. I've been fascinated by blur and motion lately, and I love the random patterns and colors that occur when shooting in manual focus. I am working on an art project for the master bedroom, and this one is a strong contender.

::Family portraits
I gave her some crayons and paper with instructions to draw a picture of our family. What she drew was an extended family portrait that included grandparents, cousins, and a hair bow (!) and birthday card belonging to cousin Evie. I labeled the lines according to her directions, and we delivered it to her Dad at work during his lunch break. When he asked, she proceeded to correctly point out each person/thing, which indicated to us that she either has a good memory or really "sees" each person in that squiggle or line. We were fascinated.

7 comments:

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

Big lol! I love that Evie's hairbow has become an actual member of the family, I guess when you buy them so big they take on a character all their own! Too funny!

kelly said...

funny!! I can see the hairbow making the cut, but the birthday card?!?
interesting.
wondering why the man from the Chinese buffet who looks like Uncle Ande didn't make it.

diber said...

Oh, you have got to read the book _Young at Art_ by Susan Striker. It's the most fascinating book I've ever read about children's development and art.

http://www.amazon.com/Young-Art-Self-Expression-Problem-Solving-Appreciation/dp/0805066977/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265076730&sr=1-1

Anonymous said...

I am not surprised Daddy B got top and centered----as long as she puts me on the list and I'm smaller than Daddy B ;) and I'm near the top--who could ask for anything more? I am singing Gods praises for HIS goodness for the miracle of her surgery success. Not congested at all and improved hearing. wonderful!MLK

kate o. said...

though i would say our weather is more tropical than temperate, it's close. and i agree with you. i think i've been won over by being outside so much november through may. really can't complain. but omar and i just figured out after our n.c. trip that we sure can complain about freezing weather. what's up with the crazy dry and chapped skin?? yuck.

i'm loving that we get to go out and buy a picnic table in february.

i'd like to reserve the right to amend all of this if come mid-may i'm still pregnant and there is a heat wave ;)

Kristine said...

I love your second photo. so. much. I want you to make it into a C-print, blow it up and hang it over your bed.