Thursday, January 21, 2010

Kitchen diaries

::Orange juice tastes amazing when fresh squeezed into a vintage juice pitcher and sipped out of the coordinating glasses. I scored this set recently at a thrift store, and I finally got around to using them this week. There is something nostalgic about this set as it reminds me of my late grandmother, Ruthie. She stands in my memory as the quintessential 1950's woman. She kept a clean house, supported her husband tirelessly in achieving all his career dreams, and had a never-ending supply of ice cream treats in the upright freezer on the porch. I had my first taste of guacamole at her house when I was five, and this pitcher is just the sort of thing that I imagine sat in her avocado-colored fridge, filled with orange juice, fresh-squeezed that very morning for my grandfather's breakfast.

::I've always been a fan of tv chef Alton Brown's philosophy that kitchen tools should have more than one function. When starting a load of laundry yesterday, I did what any housewife has done at some point in her laundry washing career. In my haste to finish the task, I poured the detergent into the fabric softener compartment. Recalling what happened when I poured softener in the bleach compartment a few, short weeks ago (the machine temporarily broke), I panicked. Then...I pulled an Alton Brown. Out came the turkey baster from the kitchen drawer where it had been hibernating for two months, and, in no time at all, the detergent was sucked out and the load sent spinning on it's way.

If any of you reading this are my neighbor and happened to be looking out your window...Yes, that was me walking back into the house with a soapy turkey baster and a smug, MacGyver-ish smirk on my face.

And that's MacGyver, people. Not MacGruber.

6 comments:

Megan said...

10 Seconds MacGruber!

kelly said...

I LOVE that you just referenced MacGruber.
My grandma (big grandma) had similar juice cups. Memories....

andrés miguel said...

not to be a downer and i loved ruthie too but alot of those vintage glasses had lead in them. really toxic especially for kids. might wanna err on the safe side ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I heard tonight on the news that purses we women carry have a lot of lead in them. The high end stores are pulling them off the shelves and testing them. They even mentioned TARGET. MLK

Jenny said...

I think they're cute glasses! All those memories make me miss Grand Ruth too, though most of my memories are from the Keenan Ave house, since I was just a tot when you first tried guacamole at their old McGregor house!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how I got on this website, I simply Googled "leaded glass discussion group" and the top result brought me here.

Anyway, I also like Alton Brown so it wasn't a total waste.

My best regards,
Possibly Poisoned In Puxatawny

p.s. I think the glasses are really cute.