Friday, October 16, 2009

These walls and floors

Cooking together is an (almost) daily activity. Give or take some patience on my part, it's something we like to do together. Within 2 seconds of me asking her if she wants to help cook, I am sure to hear the distinct sounds of a dining room chair being pushed along the floor and some pint sized grunts as she manhandles the piece of furniture into the proper place and positioning for "I help mommy" time.

This week I designated "curtain" week, lest MeMa see our naked rear ends through the windows anytime soon. I finally decided on painter's drop cloths for the living room and dining room windows. They were cheap at $10 a piece and provide a nice organic quality to the windows. But, as is the case with home improvement projects, one project completed highlights the need to do another project. In this instance, dressed windows points to naked walls. Pace yourself, Alina.


I've mentioned the importance of dance parties on here before. Well, we christened our floors last week. The moment was brief, but it was a moment nonetheless. With all the moving in and stress and exhaustion of the last few weeks, times like these are worth running-into-the-other-room-to-grab-your-camera-and-missing-half-of-the-dance-already-in-progress-in-order-to-set-up-the-camera-and-capture-the-candid-family-moment. I'm pretty sure this kind of thing drives Matt crazy.

And, yes, I suppose I do dance like an old woman running in place.

(Sorry the lighting is so poor. I wanted to document this moment anyways and share it with you. Take note of the sweet little turn Matt gives Karis at the end and then her pleading response of "Oh. More dancing?")

12 comments:

M.E. said...

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the dance party. Made me miss you and Matt...You looked like something out of a movie...pure delight. I pray that Karis remembers these moments with fondness and knowledge of the great love that is behind them!

Megan said...

Yea, you do need to curtains to make sure MeMa doesn't mock your moves! I'm just kidding! Sweet post - love you!

Alina said...

Excuse me, Megan. I do a pretty sweet impression of an old lady exercising on a power walk. Uh, I'd like to see you perform that difficult dance move. It's not as easy as it looks.

Unknown said...

That is a fun blog. She will learn hospitality and loving others through that activity also.

What a fun dance time!!

Is that a different dining set than you had out here?

Keep the blogs coming.

kelly said...

Love Karis in her little apron. And the dining room looks great!!! Can't wait to see it in person.

Kristine said...

I can't believe how long the tiny dancer's hair is! She looks like she's going to whip up a special delight for you in her apron. Please wrap her up in a big hug from me.

Megan said...

If you're offering a class, I'll certainly sign up!

Jenny said...

I think Karis will LOVE getting in touch with her
Cuban roots when you teach her salsa and merengue!

Brooke said...

You KNOW I approve of the dance party 100% !!!!

Elsie (from Kenya) said...

Hi Alina,
I had to wait a few minutes (more like half an hour) for the whole video to download - and it was worth it! That was a beautiful family moment. God has blessed you immensely!
I still read your blog, and get inspired every time.

Alina said...

Elsie!
Hi there...I get so excited when I see your comments! Thanks for your encouraging words, and I LOVE, LOVE that you still read! I found your blog back when you first introduced yourself, but haven't found it since. Are you still blogging?

Elsie said...

Hey Alina,
I haven't blogged for a long long time. Maybe I should start posting again. The link is http://malebo.wordpress.com/.