Sunday, May 03, 2009

You envy me

You know you do. While doing the dishes tonight, I slipped on the wet tile floor with a wooden cutting board in my hand. I caught myself before I could so much as wobble an inch, but the dramatic side of me says I nearly died by way of a wooden cutting board that wreaks of onions and cilantro.

After the cutting board incident of '09, I went to switch the laundry to the dryer and accidentally banged my head on the door frame. I wish I could say this was the first time...this week. It's an outside laundry room, and regrettably my neighbors can hear "head-banging" reactions. Not pretty.

While brushing my teeth a little while later, the paste unexplainable fell (jumped, if you ask me) off the brush. I looked all over the sink and floor, but I couldn't find it anywhere. About the time I gave up looking, I began to feel something squishy inside the sleeve of my sweater. Sure enough, a glob of toothpaste was smeared all over my wrist, inside my sleeve. I went to unzip the sweater, and, wouldn't you know it but the zipper was broken. (I've had it for years and it's NEVER had a zipper issue). In my emotional despair over the tile slip, laundry door, toothpaste, and zipper, I walked over to my husband who was lying in bed reading, and with the toothbrush still in my mouth, I silently shook my fists at the sky and tried to mime what had just happened. He put the magazine down, looked at me weirdly, listened to my toothbrush-slurred explanation, and simply asked, "Was I supposed to understand that?"

No. No you weren't. I just needed an audience. And come to think of it, I really should have taken that drama elective in high school.

11 comments:

kelly said...

This is EXACTLY the kinds of things that happen to me since I became a mom. I feel like that stuff never happened in my "glory days"...days when I leisurely got ready and had time to put things exactly in the same place. Now I wear toothpaste on my clothes about once a week, I lose my keys at least twice a day, and I stub my toe all the time. It annoys the heck out of me, but I'd rather be slightly ragged and forgetful and get to have a toddler next to me all day!

Megan said...

Oh my gosh, so true Alina and Kelly! I've started brushing my teeth in the shower, weird, but it works for me. I remember when I had it together, now I trip over toys all day, and I smell like baby spit. Atleast my kids still think I'm cool, for now anyway...

Alina said...

Thanks, girls. I'm glad you stand next to me on these issues. And Megan, brushing your teeth in the shower may be where I'm headed. There are no sleeves to hide the paste.

diber said...

Rolling here.

Oh, Alina, I wish I could give you a hug, because there are no words sometimes.

april said...

wish i could've seen that. great word picture. you keep making me laugh 'lin.

Rideout Time said...

It's called cell reduction in the brain!! LOL When the children are born it sucks good brain cells from our heads!! ;~)

Brooke said...

hahaha!

Anonymous said...

I see you have rec'd quite a reaction from your readers from this post. I know how it feels, i have my clumsy momments esp. during my "time" and sad to say i have gotten used to spew out relief from a Cuban word, don't copy my bad example on this, though, but my brain has pulled it out of its file the last few years.
I am sure Matt kissed your boo-boos and you's watch out for that door frame and that wet floor.
About the previous post on toddlers, etc. you all put me through that......so no simpathy here from me....JUST KIDDING!!! THAT WAS MY FLESH SPEAKING. The truth is that 4 children is no more work than one when it comes to never wearing anything that requires dry cleaning. Just take a nap with them and you will have more hair to pull out next time. And be sure to pamper a little and smell and look presentable at 5 p.m. Don't spill out your guts right at first when he walks in that door. I am sure Matt spells you off from your duties with K. so you can have some time off. This is so........temporary, you'll see ("for this present affliction shall turn it to glory", my own version of that Scripture verse. Soon she'll be saying: Mom, thanks, but I'd rather do this my way.
love,
mom

Anonymous said...

Whew....sorry about so many spelling errors on the last one, my brain is not sharp enough this am. Well, get a laugh from me anyways.
mom

Anonymous said...

Alina, just wanted to say again how much I appreciate the blogging all "my" girls do...It helps to stay and feel connected..Mama K

Anonymous said...

I will not acquiesce in on it. I over precise post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to read the unscathed story.