Monday, May 25, 2009

Weekending

It's a verb. Something you do at the end of a week. Two and a half days of freedom, and on the rare occasion such as this past weekend, it lasts four and a half days. Often times it involves manual labor in and around the house. But it isn't so bad as when you were a kid and mom kept telling you over and over to turn the t.v. off and start working. No, this work feels voluntary and satisfying.

At other times, jumping in the car with a little bag of essentials and heading to the beach is involved. Wave riding occurs. Running around like a lunatic in the sand certainly takes place. A trip to the calzone place where we successfully sit in the same spot we always do and the college girls that work there talk to Karis like they know her and comment on how we come a lot and sit at that one table every time.

One thing is for certain when weekending...there will be good food, no matter what. A roasted chicken dinner with sweet potatoes on one night, a rib eye steak with Boursin cheese on top and Jamie's potato salad for another night. Every once in a while, weekenders might attempt to make the recipe for Jim Lahey's No-Knead Bread. Twice, even. And perhaps it will be a failure. Twice. (Truth be told, I think it turned out the second time. I just think we didn't like it.) Oh well. Dust the flour off, and let's keep going, we say to ourselves after choking down a bite of the hard, yeasty loaf. I'm at 0-3 for bread making these days.

So if you are around us any time in the near future, know that our favorite verb is no longer something like "eating" or "sleeping" or "cashing" paychecks. Goodness knows those verbs are all good contenders. Instead we've discovered the action verb "weekending". I'm sure there are a dozen good country music songs about the weekends and family time and yadda, yadda, yadda. (Cue that song in your head now.)

Truth is, we are hooked on our weekends. And it seems I am hooked on writing about them. I'll try to expand my blogging repertoire in my next post. Really, I promise. I'm gonna try.

4 comments:

no longer working said...

Love those pigtails.

Love that watering can. We have the same on in blue and it makes me love the watering chores so much more.

Jenny said...

Yay!! I'm glad you had a greak weekend! Wish I could have spent time with the cutie in pig-tails. She's quite a cutie in that yellow halter! Miss you guys!! Can't wait to see you very soon!!

Unknown said...

those red lips are so cute, are they painted?
mom

Anonymous said...

Karis is so beautiful, looks like you at sometimes and matt at other times, thanks for sharung and I'm glad you get 2 peaceful days to just be a family :)- wendy