Wednesday, March 18, 2009

It takes

::a morning ritual to invigorate me.
These days every morning starts the same. Wake up, say goodbye to Matt, drink coffee, and head outside to water the plants. Four flower beds, numerous flower pots, and one lovely herb garden are in need of regular care. At first I wasn't sure how taking on another responsibility would impact my day (or my attitude). Turns out, the ritual of getting up and walking through the garden in the cool morning before Karis wakes up is quite satisfying. I wear my quick-drying shorts, long sleeve t-shirt, and crocs in anticipation of getting water sprayed on me by the leaky hose. And I don't even mind when the water inevitably mixes with the dirt and splatters mud on my feet and legs. It makes me feel like I'm 12 and having fun at summer camp. And I welcome "summer camp" moments in my life (the carefree ones, not the painfully awkward ones).

::a trip to Epcot to realize I'm getting older.
Matt and I ventured off by ourselves to Orlando for some theme park revelry. First "older person" indicator--We chose to go to Epcot. Enough said, I think. Second indicator--I loved how slow the rides were. No seat belts. No heart in your throat feelings. Just some learning about science and cultures (allbeit Epcot's version of learning, animatronics and all).

::a sick body to realize the beauty of a healthy one.
I don't know if it's the flu, a cold, or nasty allergies, but I do know I'm an achy, sneezy, teary-eyed, nauseous, exhausted mess today. It's no fun feeling like this, much less parenting in this condition. Karis went down for an early nap, and I squeezed out enough energy to straighten up the house. Nothing makes me feel worse when I'm sick than living in squalor. Unfortunately, the squalor builds up so easily when mom is out of commission.

9 comments:

jenni said...

Love the morning rituals! Yours sounds lovely. I do hope you feel better ASAP.

Anonymous said...

After switching from working mom to mostly stay-at-home mom, i realized that there were no sick days!

I was sick a couple of weeks ago and it really sucked. All I wanted to do was sleep it off, but instead, i had to be alert as possible and take care of the baby. Let's just say my sick day consisted of feeding him a lot of cheerios and watching PBS. I felt kind of bad about it, but what can i say??? Sometimes you have just one of those days.

Anonymous said...

Love your garden ritual... that's how mine will be in a couple months...

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon!! Mari Ellen

a girl said...

hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

i will live vicariously through your gardening this year. hopefully this time next year there will be a yard for us!

i would choose epcot, too.

and amen to hating a messy house when your sick.

Jenny said...

Seriously wish we sick sisters could have a rainy day circus!! Here's to hoping to gain enough energy to entertain Karis under that fun tent of sheets!

Anonymous said...

Lovely, bright colors on this pic. What are you planting in the egg cartons?

Alina said...

We planted rosemary, spearmint, and cilantro.