Thursday, March 19, 2009

Goodbye, dream

Every so often I have a reoccurring bad dream. I wouldn't call it a nightmare. There's no running or falling or knives involved. No, just a lot of anxiety and confusion. My dream goes a little something like this: I am in high school or college, and it is towards the end of the semester. As I am preparing for finals I realize that I had enrolled in a class at the beginning of the semester and then completely forgot about it. Of course it is too late to drop out, and since I have been to zero classes, I am doomed to fail unless I can read the entire textbook in just a few days. Usually the dreams also consist of some project I need to complete. Sometimes it is a long research paper (I hate research papers...they seriously taunted me in high school and college) and sometimes it is a project. Oh, and one more thing, the class is always science, a subject which I found particularly challenging in my school days.

Last night's project "du jour" was indeed a science project. (She shudders as she remembers the crazy deadlines and those large, three-sided cardboard displays which were way more fun to decorate than anything else remotely scientific).

I remember freaking out in the dream. There it was again, those familiar feelings and that crazy awareness in your sleep that feels oh-so-real. What was I going to do? How could I let this happen? Why did I not see this class on my schedule until now?

Somewhere in the midst of my slumbering panic, I struck a genius idea. After wracking my brain trying to think through my options, I decided I would do an experiment involving food. I knew I liked cooking, and so why not do an experiment in an area I found interesting? "Genius," I told my sleeping self. And right then and there I decided my project would be to test out the different leavening agents, namely yeast, baking soda, and baking powder. My plan was to bake three batches of cookies, using one of those ingredients in each batch to compare the results in the baking process. Pretty clever, right?

I remember the feeling of pride swelling in me and the total sense of victory for finding a great project to do. Never had I reached such success in this dream before now. For once I had hope and confidence that I would finish the project, ace the test, and pass the class.

Well, in that unexplainable way that dreams drift off without endings, mine dissipated without me ever making the cookies or finishing the project. All I knew was I had figured out a way to pass the class.

I woke up refreshed and proud of myself. I laid there so content, a silly little grin on my face...until it hit me: I wasn't really in school, I hadn't actually accomplished anything, and I had stolen the idea for the science project from one of the eighth grade girls in my small group from church. (A few weeks ago she told us what she did for her science project, and apparently my brain was so impressed it stole the idea to work into the plot of my bad dream rerun).

I'll be honest, I'm glad my brain did that. Smart little plagiarist. And I hope it tells whoever is in charge of the dream department that we're through failing classes in our sleep. Take that, you menacing little dream.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

I have two recurring dreams that are similar to yours. One is that I'm taking an exam and there is a gigantic clock on the wall. the hands are spinning crazily (and in many directions, like something from Alice in Wonderland), and my heart pounds as I desperately and vainly attempt to finish the exam before the crazy clock announces I have no more time. The second is that I am supposed to solo with orchestra and I walk out onto the stage in a huge hall in my gown and sit down, prepared to start, and the orchestra starts the accompaniment part of a piece I don't know. I had learned and prepared the wrong piece. horrors.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! I, of course, LOVED science growing up. But still always managed to put off the big project until a few nights before, :) My poor mother...

But that is a really cool idea for a science project, and I was gonna be really impressed that you came up with that in your sleep! Glad to know you aren't THAT creative in your dreams. Hah!

Anonymous said...

that is awesome! i rarely have success in my dreams... even with a stealing someones science project. good work!

Anonymous said...

this is your mom speaking:
I can't believe you and I have had similar dreams. I dreamed, several times, not close in time, I think, that I enrolled in several classes, and the one I liked the least I did not attend much, nor did homework, therefore I was panicking at the end of semester with what to do, I do not remember the positive remedy to my neglect (mind you, I just put it off and partly forgot, partly did not do "nothing). You have an advantage, you worked it out. I do not remember how I fixed my mess, but it probably worked out that I woke up to realize I could relax, and that I was not in school anymore. WWWWWWWhhhhhhh....thank God.
I think that when things are not within our grasp to solve, we come up with solutions in areas that we do have a handle on, and it brings us great comfort, remedy to our lives. Do you see how we work out conflict through our dreams? Do you see how our minds are in God's control so we do learn to depend on Him more to work things out in our subcontience, even while we sleep? Do we need to depend on anything else? Positive thoughts of hope in God's loving grip, natural foods, exercise, and fresh air, and everything that we created us to do, with much prayer, and no heavy foods, thoughts, decisions before bed. I am uttering a sweet prayer before bed, and my sleep has seemed more peaceful. But thank God for those dreams, we work out our struggles through them.
love,
mom

Alina said...

Mom,
This comment makes me smile!
Your daughter

kelly said...

so funny. My teeth falling out recurring nightmare has not occurred for well over a year. Maybe I am done with it, too! :)

april said...

that's right. name it and claim it. you shall not be ruled any longer