Monday, November 10, 2008

Noteworthy

#1. This weekend was glorious. Simply wonderful. It was the first weekend following Matt's successful passing of EMT school. We spent the whole weekend together. I remembered all the things I love about him. We laughed like we were so accustomed to before the stress of the last 3 months hit us. I'll remember this weekend for a long time.

#2. My terribly, horrible, no-good habit of dressing like a beggar (previously mentioned here) while in the privacy of my own home may have been defeated this week. I found some new pants at Target this week. They are all at once comfortable, good for sleeping in, and black (so fairly unhomeless in appearance). I am making strides, although I think Matt won't believe I am thoroughly cured of my bad habits until I actually throw away all the old t-shirts and saggy pants. (Please, don't make me!)

#3. Saturday afternoon we went shopping around town. As I perused through the aisles gathering well needed supplies for our fridge and home, helping myself to the free samples at the end of every aisle, listening to the holiday music overhead, and glancing at the colorful Christmas decorations, I fully understood how shopping can become like medicine or therapy or relationships. I just felt warm inside. I am glad I don't shop often.

#4. Last week I introduced my good friend to the wide world of Penzey's spices. I lived within walking distance of a store in St. Louis. I was thoroughly overjoyed to find out that this chain, which is almost exclusively limited to the midwest region of the US, has one store in Florida. And merely a 20 minute drive from my house! My friend was polite and smiled as I giddily babbled on about the spices, where they are from, and what I love to do with them. I knew we'd hit a milestone in our friendship as she watched me obsess in my adult version of a candy store. I think we're still friends. We have plans tomorrow...here's to hoping she shows up.

#5. I am making this recipe that I saw in an episode of the Martha Stewart show last week. When I saw Martha make it, I figured it would be delicious. But the smells coming from the oven tell me this dish might surpass "delicious." That is, if I don't mess it up between now and dinnertime.

#6. Sometimes I think parenting exists in a time warp. It seems like one day I am standing in my friend's bathroom staring at the little pregnancy stick and thinking to myself, "Can this faint little pink line really mean I am going to have a baby?!" Then, what feels like the very next day, my daughter is sitting on our doorstep making adorable faces as I snap her picture. Other than some crazy, secret, time-warp conspiracy, what other explanation could there be?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Beloved, I am so glad you had such a blessed weekend. I promise you will become accustomed to the odd hours and life of a "resccue wife", and you will find a new rhythm for your family to have happy dances/moments to. I love the begger outfit stories. Since marrying Wes, I learned to always wear clothes (even to bed) that I can go out in public wearing. Those 3am calls to come to the ER or bring him spare keys to the Sheriff's Office happen more often than you'd expect. Karis is a stunningly beautiful child, but had no choice but to be: she has Hansinger genes! I am so glad that you find joy in the simple moments, the overlooked simplicities of our mundane world. Those small blessings can turn a grey sky into a masterpiece when viewed at the right aangles, and what a way to receive God's blessings! I love you and miss you dearly. You remain in my prayers, always and forever.

SteamyKitchen said...

what a cutie!

Joc said...

I, too, have been trying to give up my begger-dressing-ways. And have fallen completely in love with my Old Navy yoga pants. Lounging perfection, if you ask me.

Thanks for the comment- the proud parents are Jamie Sanders (M's longtime friend) and his wife Chrissy. Who also recently bought the house right next door to us. So I'll get LOTS of time to love on those little bundles! :)

Miss y'all too!

Monica said...

Hello,

I found you from Moriah's salt site.

Anyway, your little girl is so cute. Don't ask me about the time warp, I just can't get it either.

T and B Rowe said...

congrats to matt (and you)!!! i know he couldn't have passed without your support and personal sacrifice.

btw, you have a gift. i love the way you write.

Alina said...

Bethany...thanks! I am loving blogging these days. How are you, your husband, and that sweet dog doing?

Anonymous said...

Look at my baby K's hair oh my she is the cutest.

Anonymous said...

last comment was Er's

Anonymous said...

Glad ya'll finally had a "good normal" weekend....Would it be
bragging if I said I have splendid
grandchildren?? Yeah, probably if it wasn't true, it would be bragging!
Love ya'll, Mama K

Anonymous said...

What a sweet, pretty little girl she is...
love,
mom

Julianne said...

It's funny how some days seem to drag by but years fly by! Your girl is precious.