Friday, November 21, 2008

Downtown

The autumn produce bowl: restocked, thanks to today's trip to the farmer's market.

I am a city mouse. No two ways about it. I love having neighbors, shopping options, and new places to explore. I even like the noise, perhaps because it is a result of the bustle. And I like bustle.

When we lived in St. Louis, I had a list of favorite places I would frequent [sushi restaurant, discount jewelry store, Vietnamese restaurant, creperie]. Nearly every time I went to these places, I said out loud, if not at least to myself, "This is what I love about the city--options." The city is where the opportunities abound. I know that with the advent of roads and transportation you can get almost anything you need in the suburbs or the country. But I guess I am a little bit picky on this subject...I'd rather go straight to the source.

We've been living in Jacksonville city for almost 3 months now, and I had yet to discover some of my own city gems. Jacksonville is different than other big cities I know...more spread out and very large in land mass. Other than the local goodwill down the road, I didn't have anything to brag about. That all changed this week.

Tuesday, November 18 marks the day that I had the best sandwich in my life. Now, I am aware of the enormity of this statement. I am, afterall, American. This fact single handedly ensures my sandwich eating expertise. I am still standing by my statement.

The story: I went with some friends to a little place I had heard of for a while now. It is a little French restaurant called The French Pantry. It was nothing short of INCREDIBLE. I had a chicken ciabatta sandwich, and every part of it, from the grilled chicken with the skin on, sundried tomato aoli, fresh greens, and fresh homemade bread, made this the BEST SANDWICH in my life. Oh, did I already say that? They also have incredible cakes and breads, and when you dine in you have to share a table with whomever was standing in line with you. Kind of European style. And the kicker? The place is a mere 4 minute drive from my house. A city gem, to be sure.

My second city score I found today. A friend and her daughter joined Karis and I at the main library downtown. We had heard tale that it had an awesome children's library. It was FABULOUS. 300,000 sq. ft. building. 4 stories. 15 foot Christmas trees all over every floor, each decorated in the theme of a different book. They had a huge children's section with multiple copies of all the books I was looking for (proves my point that when you go straight to the city source you find everything you are looking for). They hosted a morning full of story time, arts and crafts, dancing, and singing. And most of these activities were geared for my young toddler's age. I feel like I have a crush. A library crush.

Afterwards, we ambled outside to the park where there was a farmer's market taking place. We each bought some of the season's bounty at a decent price. It was a very small market, and we were told there is a better one just down the street. I think we'll check it out soon.

These were good finds. They were good for my future here. I am still in the "get to know you" phase of living here, and I am glad I have found some city jewels to enjoy.

7 comments:

Kristine said...

this new york city girl loves this post.....

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Anonymous said...

I am SO jealous about your children's library. As you know, the one in Paso is a bit...small!

Joc said...

That library sounds awesome! And so does the sandwich. Oh- and just this afternoon I posted a really good recipe on my joint food blog for butternut squash soup, if you're looking for a good one!

dinnerchatt.blogspot.com

Jenny said...

So glad you are starting to settle into your new city more...you sort of made me miss STL though!

kelly said...

I LOVED the jax libraries growing up. LOVED!!! My mom often took us to the activities and movies (I still remember one called the Electric Grandma about a grandma who plugged into the wall!) Later, my own grandma would take me to stock up on The Babysitters Club. :)

So glad you are enjoying Jax.

Anonymous said...

I also moved here (to Jax) from St. Louis. Well, actually I live in St. Johns Co., but our mailing address is still Jacksonville : ) Anyway, when our little library branch was being renovated a couple of summers ago, we were offered free use of Jacksonville City libraries. I mostly used the brand new Mandarin one, which was really nice, but since my husband worked within walking distance from the main library downtown, I was visited there too. I was blown away! After our freebie membership was up, I decided to pay the $40 a year to keep a membership card at all times!!

Unknown said...

I can totally understand the appeal of living in the city, but I am sticking to my mountains in the middle of nowhere. The library, though, I am a bit jealous of. We do have a great children's section at ours, but it is quite small over all. We go to Winston-Salem once every 3 months or so to get our fill on city life, but are always happy to come back to live in beauty. I am so glad you love your new home, though!