Monday, November 17, 2008

Acorn love and a dream

(Top photo: I gathered these acorns while on a walk with my daughter. We both fell in love with how tiny they were and how they each have an adorable winter "hat"). ***Update: Yes, I am loving this photo so much that I am using it for the header, at least through the winter months.***

You guys may have noticed a little change here in my blog as of late. For you regular readers who have stopped in for your once a month visit, you have probably been shocked to find there were multiple posts waiting for you. In short, I don't exactly know what has happened. I think all the recent transitions in our lives have brought the winds of change blowing through this blog. And I like it. Better yet, I love it. I simply love writing and taking pictures. A blog is an unlikely salve for my soul.

Something happened to me last month. You see, I sat down to write my typical post. Except, instead of sugar-coating what was going on in our lives, I was honest. Raw, in fact. I am sure I offended. Out of the rubble of my depression and struggles came a little sapling of passion: writing and photography. Thus began a series of posts. I found that after every post I wrote I felt more inspired than before. The inspiration really helped pull me out of this difficult season. And I have reconnected with my love (and need) to write, something I had buried since college.

I have a dream to write and take photographs professionally (or should I say "quasi" professionally). The passion is stirring, and I am not sure what the steps are to get there. But I'll have you know I am working on it. There are a few things motivating me right now. First of all, a few friends have embarked upon their own personal creative ventures, and I am inspired by their guts and hard work (Thanks Mary and Jenny!). I am also haunted by the fear that I will reach the youthful age of 75 and think to myself, "I would have loved to have been a writer" or "I would have made a great photographer." So a little fear mixed in with inspiration and a heavy dose of passion are driving me.

I really debated sharing this. I know it may sound presumptuous. Perhaps it could set me up for disappointing myself. But it's what I am walking through right now, and, well, I tend to write about those parts of my journey that move me. And in order to be moved into action, I have broken down this big goal into 3 smaller ones, mostly related to networking. I have also shared my passion with friends who are excited and have promised to hold me to my goals and keep me excited about the dream. And now...I have just 46 years to accomplish this goal before I reach my self-imposed deadline.

10 comments:

diber said...

Awww. I so know what it's like to balance passions. Just saying "balancing passion" sounds like an oxymoron. But it is a balance, you can't give 100% to one thing only ever, kids or not, though kids do tend to throw that reality into starker relief. I know that balance isn't exactly what your post is about, more DOING. And it's important to keep doing, even if it's just tiny bits at a time. (*sigh* I'll finish my PhD eventually)

Alina said...

Jeanette,
I totally agree. While this was a post more about "doing" I have been wrestling with the balance of it all. I want to go and do it...full force. The stop and start is hard on motivation. But this is real life...more than one calling.

P.S. Did I spell your name right? I haven't had to type it out in a while and it didn't quite seem right.

Ida said...

Such a lovely photo :-)

Anonymous said...

this is exciting, alina. i've been having similar thinkings. and come to think of it, so have several other friends...perhaps it is the 30ish age-thing. maybe we're getting a clearer picture about passions, fulfillment, true desires? and also what we're willing to leave behind.

can't wait to hear/see more.

a girl said...

I love your writing and pics, you trully do have a gift! I am proud of you, don't be afraid to dream, after all you would wish that for Karis, so why not you! I love you

kelly said...

Very, very cool. Thanks for sharing. You really are talented. And I LOVE acorns with hats. They make me stop my walk and pick them up, too :)

Joc said...

Good to know that other people have 46 yr deadlines too! :)

Megan said...

I think you'd be great at both of those things!

Unknown said...

First: Raw is good. It is honest. It is something we can identify with. It can be very beautiful. Keep it up! = )

Second: You do have the talent to write and do professional photography...both are things I enjoy thoroughly myself, but am not gifted in like you! I took a leap of faith opening my own business doing massage, and I was a successful therapist. I had to give up that dream and calling, but I will forever be thankful for the time I was able to do it. Follow your talent, your heart, and God's whisperings. You will have joy.

You remain in my prayers, my dear friend. Kiss Karis for me!

Anonymous said...

I love acorns, too!! We discovered a new variety this fall...they were gorgeous. I posted pics a while back. Then the kids and I had an acorn photo shoot with the fun little acorn hats. You can see pics on my blog. (around the end of Oct 08, I think)