Sunday, October 19, 2008

Pears, paint, and pastors

Yesterday restored my love for Saturdays. First off, there was a nip in the air. Yes, that's right. What has been talked about on blogs around the country for weeks now has finally hit North Florida. With temps in the upper 60's/lower 70's, I dare say fall has decided it was time to head our way. I even sit here writing away with the window open and a nice cool breeze coming in. I'm content.

Pears

I washed a pear yesterday and sliced through it. Then I stood there for a second staring at it. Then I ran and got my camera. This seems to happening a lot lately. Ordinary moments and objects catching my eye and begging to be captured with my camera. So I give you my latest find. A beautiful bartlett pear. Now really, folks. Isn't it beautiful with it's symmetry and graceful curves?

Here's to hoping you guys find beauty in the ordinary and mundane around you this week!

Paint
I spent yesterday afternoon working on a home improvement project that I hope to share here soon. I spread out the tarp and sat on my driveway painting while listening to the most recent edition of the Splendid Table. What is already such an inspiring show about all things food was particularly interesting today. The host interviewed Nigella Lawson, and they talked about good books revolving around the topic of food...my wish list continues to grow. I think I ought to label it a "check out from the library" list...my budget and my husband will thank me.

Pastors
We are the new guys in our neighborhood, and we are slowly but surely meeting people and getting a feel for the neighborhood vibe. Yesterday I got to hang out a little bit with a group of neighbors. Our children played together and we made pleasant small talk. The conversation turned toward discussing where Matt and I are from and our life story up to this point. I shared something that Matt and I have come to tell people rather hesitantly, only if necessary. I told them that he had worked for a church. I got a typical response: raised eyebrows and an "Oh."

It's not that I am ashamed of our work with the church. I treasure my relationship with Jesus. Matt and I have a passion to be around people who don't know Jesus or care much about His work in our lives. When we are often around such people we find that the revelation that we worked for a church automatically turns us into "holy people." You know, the curse word police or the one who has to pray at meals, or the one who wouldn't understand the way sin actually works as if we don't sin or are too hypocritical to admit it.

Anyways, now they know. I guess I just feel exposed and vulnerable. I know it will lead to good conversation down the road. And I hope my faith proves a whole lot more relational and relevant than the three options listed above.

Another "run, get the camera" moment last night: These candles were beautiful and aglow on our table. I particularly love how the wax slid down the candles and dangled precariously off the stand.

8 comments:

Joc said...

Hey friend. Loving all the updates lately. You're much better than me about it these days! :) Oh, and I adore that last candle pic.

Megan said...

Thanks for lunch today, we had a great time!

Alina said...

Thanks, Megan. It was really good for me too. I love watching the girls play (and sometimes fight) :-). Let's do it often.

Joc...thanks for the comment. I am LOVING writing these days. Hopefully it continues. By the way, Matt I longed to be at the "butt-off" with you. It sounded like sooo much fun. Hope to see you soon and spend some time in Chatty.

Anonymous said...

ah yes, the pastor issue. i just told our neighbor today that omar was a pastor. the "oh, nice" answer is the one that gets me.

glad you guys are having some cool weather. please send it south.

Kristine said...

alinaaa,

your personality is encapsulated in your pear photos. i love the way you inspect the world with such a beautiful eye for preciosity.

you need to come back up to new york for a visit so we can spend a day sipping chai lattes and making art together.

<3 <3 <3..*..*.*.*.*..*..*..*..*..*

Alina said...

Kristine,
Thanks, personal encourager! You are too funny...you are the only person I know that turns punctuation into art!

kelly said...

My advice to make sure you aren't considered the curse word police: drop the f bomb ASAP (I'm kidding!!!!...sort of!) :)

We get a lot of "Oh" when I tell what Ande does. Like Katie, but without the "nice".

LOVE the candle photo.

Unknown said...

Well, my dear, I promise fessing up to being a pastor gets a lot less ridicule than a "cop". Oh, if I could only count the times that people ditch me after finding out I am married to law enforcement. Sad, but true. I will pray that your lives will touch your neighbors and show them that "church people" are regular people who do their best to live the way God wants them to live, not judge others. I do believe that is the common fear...judgment. Your pears and candles are beautiful. I do wish I shared in your gift, but my pics just fall short every time I get them printed. I love you dearly and continue to pray that God will bless your family thoroughly. XOXO