Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A baptism and a farewell

Life has been getting more normal around here lately. A new normal, that is! We had to say good bye to Mama K last week. With tears and hugs she said goodbye to Karis knowing it might be 6 months before they meet again. While she was here we had Karis baptized. We figured it would be a great time to do it while we had at least one family member in town. It was a beautiful occasion. Vows were made by us and the church and now our wee little one is a baptized child of the covenant!

It is hard to believe I will be heading back to work in a matter of weeks. I am only planning on working 10-15 hours a week, but I know that it will bring with it some definite challenges and sorrow as I leave Karis for a few days a week. But I don't know that I would give up my job even if I didn't have to keep it for financial reasons. I enjoy being able to work on something outside of the home. It is a confidence booster and it gives me some time to pursue the career that I worked so hard to achieve in school. Hopefully balancing it all won't prove to be too difficult.

I am tired and therefore a woman of few words tonight, so I will sign off here before I doze off and my head hits the keyboard. Enjoy the pictures below taken over the last couple of weeks.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics, Alina! Karis is absolutely precious. Praise God for this covenant child. I can't wait to meet her!

Sis

kelly said...

Your pictures made me tear up. Praising God for my family this morning.

Anonymous said...

I loved these pics. She's really changing. So glad Marlene was able to be there with you. Thanks for letting Karis wear my mom's dress. Maybe a full front view pic. of her sent to mom would really delight her.
love,
mom

Anonymous said...

She is so, SO precious. Thanks for posting so many pictures, we can't wait to meet her in person!
Megan

Kristine said...

I love the way her own unique little expressions are blossoming now all over her face. What a gorgeous little cherub drop!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Calif family--I have put off writing in your blog because I have been sorting thru all the array of feelings stuffed into that 8 full days being with you, Matt & Karis. 1st-what a gracious hostess you are. You made me feel so welcomed and wanted....Each day I was there visiting, your house grew more lovely-not only because you took a house and put your special flair and decorating touches on it and made a rental house the very best it can be....but because it shines with so much love and caring....2nd -because I got to spend time with the 3 of you...especially getting to know my newest grand daughter. I spent almost a third of her young life with her up to that point. Her little personality starting to peek thru. She is adorable and this time has bonded me to her for life. I so enjoyed the 4 times I had her all to myself while you ran errands or date time with Matt...Thank you for allowing me to share in the service Sunday. Such a special time...For the lessons learned as Keller was dragging me down the hill (on my fanny)...my neighbor today asked me about the cut on my ankle....I believe you...Keller IS 65 lbs of pure muscle....I'm still not charging Matt for the entertainment I provided him with when I made mistakes that made him laugh...at my expense. The selfless love and patience you showed by Karis needing to feed every 1 1/2-2 hours. I admire that---I don't know that I could have managed to do that when my babies were small. The veg. market in San Luis Obispo...(and the much needed jacket I borrowed that night--at your suggestion) the concert in the park in Paso Robles...the great NY style pizza, BBQ, the pork tenderloin (what a great recipe), the fruit salad you made, McClintocks, Thai food...Costco, Old Navy, Chili's...
Pottery Barn....So much living packed into that short time. I enjoyed every minute and thank you so much much for allowing me to be a part of it all. I almost asked to be a guest blogger on your webpage...maybe I should have because this post is so long. I have teared up several times this week missing Karis and just the honor of getting to change her diapers. You are all 3 loved and I am praying for God's best for the future. Mama K

Anonymous said...

By the way, I LOVED all the pictures BUT the one with me sleeping with Karis in my arms...but sweet Karis makes up for the awful pic of me. The one where I am holding her and she is looking face full on towards me is one of my favorite---it makes me wonder if she's thinking "So, YOU'RE my Grandma"????? She looks so alert and like she's trying to figure things out already......She's probably gifted!!!! I love and miss ya'll. I hope Karis is sleeping better thru the night for the 2 of you. Mama K

Unknown said...

Your pictures and blogs bring me so much joy! I am so thankful that you and your sweet family are doing so well. Happy Baptism, Karis! Welcome to God's covenant family! Keller should come to Boone for puppy playtime with Chesska...they'd have a blast! I personally cannot believe I actually posted a few blogs lately...it had been 6 months! You are in my prayers, and I am so blessed to know you...love and hugs!