Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Mom finally speaks

Hello, all. A lot has changed since I last posted here. As you all know I am now part of the club, the "I can't believe I am responsible for another human being...can I please get some sleep already" club. It has been a thrilling and difficult ride ushering Karis into the world. For a whole week prior to her delivery I was in early labor which means I was having contractions that grew stronger every day and inhibited me from sleeping or relaxing but were never regular enough to send me into the hospital to deliver. It was an extremely exhausting way to go into the hospital for delivery, already worn out and beyond ready with anticipation to meet the baby. Once I finally had enough of the early labor (2 weeks overdue!), I woke Matt up on Friday night and told him, "Even though my contractions aren't regular, we are going to the hospital, and we aren't leaving until I have Karis." Fortunately my water broke naturally just a few short hours later. We were on our way to begin the last leg of the pregnancy endurance race! In an effort to spare you the details I will sum up the delivery by saying it was rough...very painful. No epidural and not by choice. I WILL have an epidural next time, no questions asked! Once Karis arrived I felt a mixture of joy, completion of a race, and survivor of a war. And I knew I would rather never do this again! I am sure some of you can relate to these sentiments. The day after I delivered we had a friend visit, and she has six children. She kept asking me, "Isn't it wonderful to give birth? Can't you just wait to do it again?!" I was confused by her enthusiasm and I assured her that was not the case for me. Many parents have said that delivery is the most horrible pain in the world that is the most quickly forgotten. And you know what, I sat here checking blogs tonight and saw a picture of a newborn baby, and I actually thought, " I can't wait to have another"! Wow, as the rewards of being a mom become more abundant day by day, I am beginning to forget. The pain is giving way to sheer delight every time I look at Karis. Seriously, Matt and I have both fallen completely in love with her and we cannot wait to see more of her personality emerge.

My life lately has been filled with adjustments. There are many things I have said goodbye to and many new things that have entered our world. Sleep...where can you be found? When Karis was in the womb I told Matt that I knew she would be a night owl and sleep through the day. Much to my sleep deprivation, my prediction was right. She is on a reversed sleeping schedule. She keeps me up until about 4 am. I end up sleeping in until 11 or noon every day to make up for lost sleep. It is amazing how the body does adjust to these challenges.

I wanted to thank all of you for the kind comments, packages, phone messages and emails! Although I haven't gotten around to replying to all of them, please know we have treasured all of the thoughts and love you guys have sent our way! Thank you! Enjoy the few pictures we have taken in the last few days. The picture at the top of the post is one of me taking a picture of myself holding Karis in her sling. It didn't turn out great but I had be creative in taking the shot because Matt wasn't home to take it.


I couldn't resist taking this shot of Karis today. I was carrying her around in the sling and I opened it up to find this precious face peacefully asleep. Too cute for words.


Here Karis is sleeping in her usual pose. She loves to rest her head upon her hands.



Another father-daughter moment! (I promise Matt does more than sit on the couch and hold her...although holding her is his FAVORITE thing to do these days.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea..my neice definately knows how to relax. Loved the one with her head on her hands. She's already got her own personality and I see so much of both you and Matt in her. Precious resemblance!

Hugs and Kisses!
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Girl, get yourself a copy of _The No-Cry Sleep Solution_ NOW!! It is so helpful understanding how babies sleep and you can teach them to sleep better in a gentle way. I didn't get it until E was 7 mos and I was totally WASTED! He still doesn't sleep through the night. That's the biggest farce of modern parenthood.

You will forget the pain. E's birth was a little traumatic for me. I REMEMBER feeling that way, but I don't feel that way anymore.

Karis is adorable!!!! I love the little snuggly in her sling. Awwww.
Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Karis - we love you! Have fun with your Momma K, she is bringing a kiss to you from Evie! We love you all!
Megan

april said...

so happy for you lina!

Lexy said...

Haha, welcome to the club! I just wanted to assure u that the sleep situation does get better! Everyone kept telling me that at 6 weeks things get better, and they were right! Now that we are week 10, almost 11 he is really starting to sleep much better and I couldn't be happier! Good luck, I'll be thinking of you at 4am when I'm up too!
~Lexy

Anonymous said...

Hee! You made me laugh...

After each of our kids were born, I, through many tears, told my husband, most seriously..." I know we wanted more kids, but this is our last dear"...And here we are on #6. I'm sure he will be our "last" too! :-)

I personally am a big fan of Ezzo's BabyWise...as long as it's taken with a grain of salt. It's worked for all of our babies so far and they sleep beautifully now--no lasting problems into toddlerhood.

Hang in there--it only gets better! :-)

--Dianna

Brian & Mary Hand said...

Absolutely LOVE the pics! She is too cute! And, I'm so excited for you and Matt. I've been thinking of you often.

Have a great weekend . . . hopefully with some rest and sleep :).