Sunday, August 26, 2007

Around the house

On the camera
I snapped these pictures last night with Karis. While she was not such a willing participant, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and these pictures t
urned out cute. I am entitling these pictures part of the "One-handed photo series." There are going to be a lot of pictures in this series over the next few years, as the mood often strikes to take pictures when it is just the two of us and my outstretched arm is the only available source for snapping a photo. These first two photos Karis and I are taking turns giving each other a kiss. Ok, so I was the only one interested...in the second shot she is actually trying to eat my face.

In the kitchen
I have really been enjoying the little bits of free time I get to cook dinner. Granted, lately they have been interrupted by Karis's perfectly timed request to be served her own dinner...and "right away," sh
e screams! My time in the kitchen is one that allows me to relax and create. I get to create wonderful smells and tastes. It is truly a tactile experience: washing, chopping, sauteeing, stirring. I love it...all of it. What could be better than this artistic experience...you are rewarded at the end with something that pleases your [taste] palette (well, most of the time). The last two meals I have made (worth sharing) are a Vodka cream sauce with bow tie pasta taken from the Joy of cooking. Yum! I have never been a huge pasta fan until recently. I love the simple flavors that pasta dishes bring to the table. The second dish is a recipe I took from a cooking blog I like, www.jemangelaville.com. Check out her recipe called Waterzooi of Chicken from her August 8 post. So tasty. So French. So going to be cooked again!

On her feet

These shoes can be spotted on Karis's feet these days. From her aunt Kelly, we love the cuteness that they are. When else in your life can you wear bear/dog slippers and look so completely adorable?

Made me laugh

I have a love hate relationship with parenting advice. I realize I am new to all of this and so I know that there is a lot of helpful advice out there...but my rule of thumb with advice is: Consider the source. This came in handy last week when I walked into Michaels craft store last week. I certainly was not prepared for the tidbit of advice I was about to receive. I went with Karis to pick out some craft supplies and when I got to the cashier (who was a young guy no older than 16), he looks at me and asks, "Do you mind if I ask you something personal?" Before I could answer he goes ahead and asks, "How long was your labor?" Ummm. Awkward. Inappropriate. None of your business. These would have all been appropriate responses in my mind. But I kept it casual and brief, "Oh, it was pretty typical." He goes on to tell me about his sister's labor. If she only knew! I smiled and nodded. Then as we were leaving, he advised me, "Enjoy her now. This is the most innocent she'll ever be." Uhh. Again, awkward and weird. I wanted to ask, "Do you even have your driver's license yet?" Instead, I smiled, said thank you and walked out, all the while thinking of a new slogan for the store..."Michaels: Your #1 source for craft supplies and parenting advice from high school boys."

Karis the great philosopher
I love this photo of Karis. She looks like she is pondering the great mysteries of life [To poop or not to poop...]. A nice, fat stogy in her mouth would really complete the picture!

11 comments:

Brian & Mary Hand said...

You have such a cutie! I love the pics! So great to hear you're enjoying little Karis . . . and having time to put your artistic flare into your cooking. God is good! Wish we all were closer -- to share good food together.

Jenny said...

CUTE!!! That pic of her eating your face--love it! Pretty good shots using just one hand. She is looking more adorable in every post. Now I'm going to go check out that cooking blog...yummy!

Love you,
Sis

kelly said...

So funny about the parenting advice!!! What the heck?!?!? Socially awkward teen?? Yes.

Love the pictures!!! And so thankful to see my shoes on those cute baby feet. The philosopher pic was my favorite--great lighting. But one more piece of unsolicited advice: don't give your baby a cigar. :)

Love you!

Unknown said...

I can't believe how much she looks like me... stunning! I totally agree with kelly on the cigar thing... especially inhaling... it kills cilia and is awful tough on a young respiratory system.

Anonymous said...

All babies look more complete with a stogy - I totally agree. Very cute pictures, Evie had the same bear slippers - love them! It sounds like your having a lot of fun as a new mommy - good for you! Tell Ande that I disagree, Karis looks more like me!
Megan

Kristine said...

these one-handed pictures are my favorite...like capturing sacred lightning. the last one of karis has this mystical glow. i love it most. she is so tangible. i feel like i could reach out and cradle her. the warm sheen is so lovely. it looks like the picture was taken with an old hasselblad camera and made into a precious silkscreen. make more!

<3,
*kristine

Anonymous said...

ADORABLE!!!I loved all the pics, but the 3rd one made me want to reach out and hold her. She looks so much older and it's only been been 2 1/2 weeks since I've seen her. Christmas seems such a long way off. The last picture makes me think she's already figuring out just what makes this world go round. She is SO precious. I praise God for the blessing of her to our family. I find myself missing my Calif family even more than I thought I would. Love,Mama K

Unknown said...

LOVE the pictures! I feel like California is just outside my door when I read your blogs, and at times, I wish it were. I thank God for you and for your joy. You are a blessing, Alina! I am so thankful the Lord has blessed you so lovingly with such a beautiful family and friends. You are in my prayers always!

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's the 4th pic that's my favorite of Karis....I was showing Daddy B the cute pics this am and realized it was the 4th, not the 3rd...I had to use my memory last night because the pics don't come up with a post to a blog... so much for my memory. Alina, you look beautiful in all the pics. I'm impressed with the 1 handed picture taking too. Mama K

HumbuckerChapell said...

love your pictures alina:)

Anonymous said...

I just had to drop by and look at the pics again, and I just need to say that I would like to kiss that baby. Look out Karis, I'll have to make up for six months worth of kisses by the time we meet at Christmas. Seriously girl, get ready!
Aunt Megan