Saturday, August 19, 2006

Broken

This week I realized how broken everything is. Things, relationships, people are not as they should be. I spent some time with a foster child this week and as soon as I was done with the contact I got in my car and immediately started to put on some soothing jazz music. I had rolled down the windows, put on delightful/light/problem-free music, and began daydreaming of the delicious meal I would make to warm my belly and satisfy my hunger. As I rode home I realized what I was doing...running from the brokenness of that child's life and circumstances. I was trying to air out my car of the misfortune, neglect, and abuse that this child has seen in one short lifetime. Once I realized my sad attempt (to feel as if this world is right) wasn't working I just sat there, and allowed myself to take a mental and emotional bath in the broken reality of this world.

Yeah, this job is going to be hard, no doubt about it. People in the social work "business" speak
of leaving work problems at work. Sure...if there exists a button in your brain that helps you compartmentalize your experiences, then good for you. I personally haven't found that button to be easily accessible. Outside of our back door we have an emergency light that comes on when people approach at night. It has two big lights on it that shine in opposite directions. I have looked at that light and thought it is big enough to hang my problems on before I come in after a broken day's work. But honestly, some days it just doesn't seem big enough to mentally afix my work burdens on. Other day's I glide right past that light and spend the evening preparing dinner or doing whatever evening activities with a light heart not thinking about my day.

Honestly I am really thankful for those days when I don't think about work after hours. On the one hand, I don't want to become hardened to the reality of this brokenness like some crusted old shell of a social worker, unaffected by the nastiness of many children's experiences. On the other hand I have got to learn to compartmentalize. What I am doing is glorious in a small way--giving dignity, kindness, and normalcy to these children's lives in the form of a ride, conversation, activity in the community. But here is the best part....I am not God. Bingo! There it is...that is key to how I can compartmentalize. I can give a small piece of love and kindness and be a part of God's GRAND, HUMONGOUS, CERTAIN plan of redemption. So here I go, sent out like an army soldier with a seemingly small mission that is part of a grand scheme. And when I come home at night, I can hang my day's work on that light knowing that this world is broken and I can both cry about it and then come inside, trust Jesus, and go on with my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Alina,
I am so grateful that a caring Jesus loving person like you has been placed in this time and place to help broken children and families for "such a time as this".
I don't know if this thought will help you but it helped me more than anything else. When I stood at my natural father's grave and I realized that all he did wrong was that he just didn't love Jesus with all his heart, soul , mind and might and it had made all the difference in my life and my family's life (for the bad), I chose to forgive him. All the other things he did wrong all stemmed from the fact that he just didn't have Jesus first in his life. It was that simple. And there are plenty of people that live like that and we aren't God. Only He can bring that person and circumstances around to the good. Our part is only to point people in the right direction towards Him.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they will see your good works and glorify your Father who is in Heaven". There were 4 social workers involved in my life by the time I was 5 years old. Be careful out there. I am praying for you. Love, MLK

Anonymous said...

I continually long for restoration...more and more, the older I get. I am thankful God's plan for you is bringing salt and light to these kids. Praying for you....
kelly

Unknown said...

Hello, my darling, Alina! I know that this job must be difficult for you, and that it will affect you over time. How it affects you, though, is entirely up to you and how you choose to respond to the things you will see. Being able to leave work at work isn't always the best thing to do because it is one step toward becoming hardened to the reality of what you've seen. I know from a spouse's perspective that going to God before and after work and laying your heart and mind open to Him is the best way to go about it. There is a noticeable difference with Wes the days he doesn't go to God with it. With nearly 7 years in law enforcement, he definitely has become desensitized to some things, so I will pray every day for you, that you will always feel how wrong and painful things are. Being able to see that will only lead you closer to God who can heal all things. I love you much and will continue to pray that God will be with you. Jamie