Friday, February 25, 2011

Self



Karis drew her first self-portrait the other day during art time at the library. The teacher placed mirrors in front of each child and instructed them to "draw what you see".

I was very skeptical at first, figuring this was kind of a lame, last minute exercise that 3-year-olds really couldn't grasp. Was I ever short-sighted in my thinking! I watched in amazement as Karis drew her first stick figure and recognizable object. A large (nearly perfect) circle for a head, two legs, eyes, ears, hair, and a few extra features I wouldn't have expected such as her forehead (in red) and a "little" stomach (the blue patch under the mouth).

To be honest, I felt guilty for doubting her abilities. Sometimes I think as a parent I am both the most and least qualified person to say what my child is capable of. Spending literally every waking hour with her makes me an expert in what she's capable of doing right now, but I think it also creates natural blind spots in my faith in her ability to handle the next step. I think it's an honestly-fought struggle and something I hear lots of parents battle within themselves.

One thing I know for sure is that I have insisted Karis show off the picture to everyone who's entered our home since then. And if I keep bragging at this rate, that large circle "head" is only going to get bigger.

5 comments:

Elizabeth Higley said...

very cool!! she is very talented.:-)

Jamie Hawkins said...

I love how kids look at the world. From their point of view, grownups are primarily made of legs, except for when we bend down to their level to talk to them, which gives us a head. The stomach was fun! She probably has to put her chin in her chest to see her tummy, so of course it was drawn on her chin! = ) Can't wait to see her future creations!

Anonymous said...

See, I told you she looked like me, the head confirms it ;) Mama K

Anonymous said...

Aren't large heads a sign of a huge self esteem?
mum

Kristine said...

My favorite thing in the world is her "little blue stomach" under her mouth.