Monday, February 28, 2011

A messy kitchen

There is more dirt in my kitchen these days. Up until now I have taken for granted the bath food receives before being placed on the shelf at the supermarket. So when I first signed up for a weekly produce and egg delivery from a local CSA, I never considered how messy this endeavor could be. I now receive sandy strawberries and gritty cauliflower. And those beautiful eggs? Covered in bird waste. It's not glamorous but true.

My hands and counters have gotten quite dirty in this process. But it's a fair trade-off in my mind. The farmers don't wash the produce before delivering it to me, but the food is harvested by the farmers' hands and, within days, delivered straight into mine. I'm learning I can live the mess.

5 comments:

RT said...

I feel like your connection with food is much more genuine than mine! A few years ago I had a good connection with a Nebraska farmer and received fresh eggs and ground beef. I was surprised--and a little turned off--by the bits of bird poo and feathers still clinging to the gorgeously colored eggs. Now I just wish I could get such freshness in my kitchen again!

Anonymous said...

Uh-oh, I don't think I would make it in your kitchen.....I open each carton of eggs I buy, not only to
see if any are broken, but to see how clean they are. I put them back on the shelf if I see any "spots" on them ;)

Anonymous said...

I think this is super-cool but I, too, look at my supermarket eggs to make sure there's no bird poo on them . . . I like the idea that it's fresh from the ground and local. I think I could learn to deal with it.

Anonymous said...

I think this is great!!!!!! We think that what we buy at the supermarket does not need washing and scrubbing, it does. Also the pesticides growers use to maximize production is there, are you getting organic stuff, it is well worth the extra pennies or dollars, there are some fruits and veggies that are highly recommended to be organic for consumption. Definitely, I would boil milk if you ever find a dairy farmer, and make butter with the top milk, placing cream with a bit of salt if you like and a drop of veg. oil to make it spreadable, find instructions, but the butter is incredible. How blessed you are to live in a place where you have those things available.
mum

kate o. said...

this is so true. our refrigerator is dir-ty. grit everywhere.

it can still get to me a bit, especially with greens, but i'm learning ;)