Saturday, September 11, 2010

Dog days

We've entered the awkward season sandwiched between summer and fall, the time of year when I'm ready for fall weather but the thermometer still pushes 95 midday. Invariably, my closet undergoes an identity crisis as I feel uncomfortable wearing post-Labor Day white and my favorite white, open-toed wedges. To avoid a worthless battle in my mind, I gently remind myself to let it go. I live in Florida. Year-round flip flops are the norm.

Karis surprised me with her powers of keen observation yesterday. I was driving and asked her to please be quiet so I could listen to the news on the radio. She replied back, "What's wrong with the world, Mommy?" Well, how much time to you got, kid?

I looked out my window yesterday to see a woman walking down our street with four dogs on leashes and a humongous red, blue, and yellow parrot sitting on her shoulders. Then, as if the scene weren't unusual enough, she passed a neighbor's recycling bin, spotted something she wanted, pulled out an empty milk jug, and went merrily on her way. I can't imagine what she'll use it for.

I've been eyeing a collection of jars in the back of my mother-in-laws outdoor fridge for a couple of months now. I recently asked her about them, and she told me they were homemade fig preserves, a gift from her next door neighbor Pat. My curiosity got the best of me this week, and I simply asked to have a jar. Oh. My. Goodness. Pat, you have done a noble service to mankind. With the subtle, deep fig flavor and tender bite, it makes for a dynamite breakfast when combined with a bowl of Greek yogurt and granola. I know I should share this with Matt, a self-proclaimed fig lover, but I'm fighting the urge to tuck it away in an undisclosed location.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute dog.....The lady prob. wants the jug for her dogs, you can make a ladle to reach for dog food or bird seeds if you cut it and make keep the top on the jug. That is either a dob sitter or a lady who wants to get out to the park, eh? I envy people who can jellies.

Joc said...

Alina, I adore fig preserves! I haven't had them in so many years though, since we stopped visiting my 'supplier' (a relative's relative). Man, you brought back memories, though. There's nothing like home-made.

And oh, let's just say that my lovely swollen feet will also take the year-round flip flops approach this year, even though I don't have the Florida excuse!