Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sophie's farm, part 1

Do you remember those beautiful fresh eggs I told you about last month? Yesterday, Karis and I went on a field trip to meet Sophie, her family, and her entire brood of chickens.

Tall, beautiful, and serious about her work, Sophie gave me the tour of her homemade pen and coop. She and her brother personally chased down the hens and rooster so that I could meet and photograph each one. With the authority and pride of a mother, she told me about each chicken that she'd raised from birth. I snapped away, all the while asking embarrassing questions that outed me as a city girl.

I was really inspired by our visit with this Swiss-American family of 7 and seeing the creative life they've built for themselves. Enjoy the photo tour of Sophie's work, and stay tuned for more photos of their Swedish-farmhouse style home (!), treehouse, and family gardens.

4 comments:

kelly said...

wow, beautiful!!!
does karis want to raise chickens now?

joc said...

Ahh, farm life. But most importantly, did you get more eggs?

kate o. said...

i now want chickens just so i can have the cute hen house with cut-out hearts!

no. i really just want that farm down the street from me so i don't have to mess with the actual chickens ;)

Alina said...

Kelly,
No, Karis doesn't seem to care for the chickens. A dog is all she seems to want. But being around so many kids for a whole day...she's asking for siblings!

Joc,
No, unfortunately a raccoon got into the coop a couple of weeks ago and killed a few hens. Their egg count has gone down, but Sophie has plans to buy more hens soon. I'm all in favor of it!

Kate,
I agree. There is no better place for cut-out hearts than in a hen house made by your Dad. :-)