Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Stepping out

Karis is currently enthralled with the idea that she was once a baby, born and cared for by mommy and daddy. While I was paying for my ear doctor appointment today, Karis informed the receptionist that Karis was once a baby and "was born." She then proceeded to show her what she looked like when she came out, doing a little dancing jig with hands out to her side and feet running in place. Of course, I only remember the excruciating, unmedicated pain and violent yelling at the doctor to "get this baby out NOW!" But these are just minor details, right? And who knows, maybe little baby Karis was doing a little dancing jig, so glad to be out of that confined space.

Later in the day, Karis stepped out the back door with instructions by me to stay within sight and come whenever I call. I proceeded to make dinner, one ear angled to the door and two eyes frequently looking out on her. It was her first real taste of independent play outside, and though there was only one minor incident involving her hair and the grapevines on the side (of which she'll retell the story over and over during dinner about how I "saved" her), I think we've found a new outdoor routine.

Likewise, while Karis was trying out her independence, I stepped out on a limb with dinner, making skillet curried chicken and rice from the America's Test Kitchen cookbook. It called for long grain white rice, but we're short grain brown rice people around here. Feeling gutsy, I adapted the recipe...and two hours later, I stood over a pot of bland, undercooked curried brown rice. Any of you familiar with that panic feeling that arises at 7:30pm when dinner is looking to be a miserable failure? Note to self: stick close to home on this recipe next time.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Written with cheerful enthusiasm: Were you at the baby doctor? Is this your way of saying you have a bun in the oven? ;)

Alina said...

Lindsay-No, I was actually at the ear doctor...much less fun than the baby doctor. No plans for baby #2 just yet. Still reeling from #1. :-) Glad you asked, though!

Alina said...

Lindsay- I just edited it to read "ear" doctor since I can totally see how you could read new baby into it. :-)

Lindsay said...

I'm not meaning to be nosy, but I thought I'd check. You never know. Though it's weird when people ask me if I plan to be pregnant by the end of the year. I still feel like saying, "Um, no. I *just* had a baby."

kate o. said...

ha! i wondered the same thing. while i love aspects of having two kiddos so close, i still think i was smoking something when we decided to get pregnant after 8 months...yikes.

i'm loving that asher will be closer to three when this kiddo is born.

love the picture, alina. i also love being able to open the back door and let the boys play while i fix dinner. here's hoping summer weather is a long ways off.

Anonymous said...

Wow, wow! What a memory she has to be able to remember when she came out. Just kidding, but she is mighty sweet, take care.
mum